Thread: cable

Post cable

hi, i run a webserver off of a cable internet connection and i am curious just how many users this type of connection can support. I have a friend who has a similar setup and he gets around 1000 hits a day, is this the max or can it do better? Right now cable is the fastest connection i can afford.

It depends on how your site is set up. If you keep the images to a minimum, no flash or Java, no downloads and no cgi scripts, I would think you can go to 5000 a day without a problem... The less data your visitors transfer the more users can be on the site at the same time...
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

If possible, you would probably do better on a dsl connection. I'm guessing they probably aren't that much more expensive then cable but you would get alot more "upload bandwidth"(creative liberties taken) and the dsl connection won't get shared like your cable connection. Just a thought.
    Posting... ahhh the possibilities
    -Undy-

If possible, you would probably do better on a dsl connection. I'm guessing they probably aren't that much more expensive then cable but you would get alot more "upload bandwidth"(creative liberties taken) and the dsl connection won't get shared like your cable connection. Just a thought.
    -Undy-

Actually dsl in my area doesnt have nearly as much bandwidth as cable. My provider promises 368k uploads, but 90% of the time they are 500k. The dsl provider around here only promises 250k uploads, and from what I hear from friends with dsl, it is lower than that often. Both of these are from standard asynchronous providers. The true benefit of dsl is in the price. Around here it is $30 a month, while cable is $45. But with the increased performance, I consider it worth the extra $15.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Actually dsl in my area doesnt have nearly as much bandwidth as cable. My provider promises 368k uploads, but 90% of the time they are 500k. The dsl provider around here only promises 250k uploads, and from what I hear from friends with dsl, it is lower than that often. Both of these are from standard asynchronous providers. The true benefit of dsl is in the price. Around here it is $30 a month, while cable is $45. But with the increased performance, I consider it worth the extra $15.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

My bad. I was speaking of hdsl or adsl.
    *smacks himself* clarify clarify....
    -Undy-