Churches: History vs Present

Thread: Churches: History vs Present

Question Churches: History vs Present

Preface: when I speak of Churches in this article, I'm not only referring to Christian Churches, but also Synagogues, Mosques, etc..

I was just thinking of Churches, and their place in society today versus their place in society a hundred years ago. Churches are having more and more money problems, and have been losing their 'membership' (so to speak) quite rapidly over the last few decades.

I think the main reason why this has been happening is simply that our communication methods are better. If you remember, churches, even as recently as the 60's and 70's, were places where people would congregate on a regular basis. Not just church services either, the church was a societal focal point for most areas, especially in the earlier years. This holds especially true of Rural churches. People would gossip, children would see each other apart from school (if they had such luxuries), people who lived far away (relatively speaking) would come together to a central place and talk. Communication.

Now with newer methods of communication, Churches are similar to writing letters. With speedier forms of communication, why choose something as slow as writing a letter, when you can always just email someone? Quite a lot of people feel religion is their own personal thing, and that a church is optional. Which is, IMO, really the case. The church is nothing but a building. It's a person that makes the church anything more, and that person can just as easily do things by themselves at home.

More and more people are beginning to realise that religion really is what you make of it.

What do you think?
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

I think you're right on target with communication, but I think it has more to do with media attention than anything else. I think that things have been going on in some churches that weren't right forever. But with the media attention given now to people like Jim Bakker, and the Catholic Church fiasco going on right now, people who might have otherwise given church a chance are turned off by it before even stepping foot in the door.

I don't defend either of the situations mentioned above, but I think that the media tends to go after bad people when they are involved in church, and it brings everything down...it's bad publicity plain and simple. It's not that I think the media shouldn't cover it, but I think people should keep in mind that there are bad things going on a lot of places, and it isn't in all churches by a long shot!

Just my .02

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Well, actually, the term church refers not to a building, but to the people of God. The Greek word ekklessia (I didn't feel like looking it up, so it's probably spelled wrong.) means "those called out." In a Christian sense, church refers to the body of believers and not a building. It's actually wrong when Christians say, "I'm going to church." The church is not a place; the church is the body of believers. But as a social center, you are probably right Chris. The church (in the sense you use it) was once a social center. Once it (for social purposes) it was one of the few outlets (besides the community store, etc.). But now with cars and the advanced ability to move about, there are many more options available (football, baseball, etc.). But, I don't think this is necessarily bad. The main purpose of the church is to worship and serve God. Social considerations come second.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Well, actually, the term church refers not to a building, but to the people of God. The Greek word ekklessia (I didn't feel like looking it up, so it's probably spelled wrong.) means "those called out." In a Christian sense, church refers to the body of believers and not a building. It's actually wrong when Christians say, "I'm going to church." The church is not a place; the church is the body of believers. But as a social center, you are probably right Chris. The church (in the sense you use it) was once a social center. Once it (for social purposes) it was one of the few outlets (besides the community store, etc.). But now with cars and the advanced ability to move about, there are many more options available (football, baseball, etc.). But, I don't think this is necessarily bad. The main purpose of the church is to worship and serve God. Social considerations come second.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)