Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: my boss got firewall log of my portscan

Re: my boss got firewall log of my portscan

Originally posted here by cocoke
    i was just playin around with my brand new portscanner (as i am newbie babe) n i didn't no that alart mails went to IT team (inc me..)
    it has my IP add, package dropped etc etc
    You should be ok. Just tell the truth and you may only get a warning or a repremand in your file.

thanks to employee rights, he is on holiday till the end of mth.
    how can i erase the alart police mails + firewall log from my boss's?? help me pleeeeeeeeaaaaase!
    A very BIG NO! You don't want to do this. A good admin will catch this and you will be catching the door with your backside on the way out. Or worse, look at the pic in my sig. You may get what Bill is getting from Cookie and Tux............
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Re: ok folks.... ;-)

Originally posted here by cocoke
    Thanks guys, i understand i shouldn't cover up,
    i will tell him that was me, fessin around when he cums bak...
    IT would probably be in your best interest to speak to him before he checks his email. Better he finds out diresctly from you than an automated email. This will also show some responsibility, and help to not get you canned if that's what's in store...
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

I got in trouble with my ISP, when I was new, becuase I didn't know it was bad. I was telnetting and used the portscanner for places to log into. The ISP wasn't even understanding. They shut me off and it took tons of work to let me back on. I hadn't even done anything else. There rules don't even say you can't, they just say no illegal activity. Why didn't they call and explain and say not to do it again. I'm rattling My advice like everyone elses, is confess. It is better to confess before he finds out than when he confronts you. You might try somthing like this:
    You: Is portscanning illegal by company policy?
    Boss: Yes, Why?
    You: I'm sorry, but I didn't realize it, and I portscanned our server. I won't do it again.
    Then you would would explain why you were portscanning. Of course, if you are lieing to us abou it, it might bring out the fireworks.

Conversation would go like this instead:

You: Please don't FIRE me, I portscanned the network.
    Boss: Whats a port scan?
    You: Lengthy explanation that is half wrong
    Boss: Oh, are you going to bribe me to keep your job.
    You: No
    Boss: Oh well I think its time for you to take a vacation. Heres a free pink slip.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

I got caught scanning the network at the college where i work (i wasn't supposed to be doing so) i found multiple backdoors and told the admins they had a right go at me no thanks or praise for finding the backdoors they didn't even know that the machines could be accessed from there. They have replaced my machine with a 98 (same as students staff use nt both run novell) and installed on my machine is 'S to Infinity' so Big Brother is watchin me constantly. My advice go to work WORK go home PLAY and learn.
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

Dear pple who replyed to my msg..

Thanks to all ur suggestion, as i didn't cover up, am not in trouble...!
    Cheers!
    mwah mwah! xx
    My kei-goh is Silver Wolf!

Good to hear....remember:

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny"
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

Glad to hear it. On the question of whether portscanning is legel, you can figure it this way. It is usually legal, but it is just like caseing a house, there is nothing illegal about looking in peoples windows or peeking through holes in their garage door. You can scout there property. The only thing that can get you are tresspassing laws. Portscanning all though not illegal is like peeking through peoples windows and looking at there own personel privacy.