Thread: Firewall Settings Problem....

Banned

Firewall Settings Problem....

Hey All,

I have tried using both ZoneAlarm and Outpost since my reinstallation of Windows 98se and here's the problem...

Both of these firewalls control in/out communications and will prompt the user if the program should use the net or not...

That's cool, however, if I turn off my computer and log back on, the *#@%$@ firewall will reask the same stupid ****!!

I tell it yes, always for IE, yet when I go back on my 'puter, it prompts me again....

Why is my preferences to my firewall not saving? Is the preference file write protected? (no, because I couldn't speficy in the first place....)

Anybody have any idea what the problem is? It's so teadious that I am surfing, completely vulnerable! :O

Well I don't have my computer with Zone on it with me right now, But I seem to remember when the 'prompt' comes up, there is a check box that say's something like "Do you want me to remember this answer" (or something like that). By default it's unchecked, if you leave it that way, you will always get asked. You might want to look at this the next time it pops up.

Cheers:
    DjM

Banned
    That's the thing, I check the "remember always", or with outpost, choose the remember this preference....

The Iceman Cometh
    Try manually adjust which programs can access the Internet, rather than relying upon the pop-up windows. You can also look at the program settings within ZoneAlarm to ensure that the programs are being stored there. If not, there may be something else wrong. Anyway, if you can't figure out how to manually add the programs, PM me and I can walk you through it.

AJ

Ah.......**** mate, can't help ya then.

Cheers:
    DjM

I noticed the subject is about Zone Alarm. I can tell you first hand that on many machines Zone Alarm performed poorly and caused many conflicts. I have listed below things you might want to try on Zone Alarm to see if it helps you any. I tell many people it is best to really use Norton Firewall, as it has more features and updates as well. Plus it will Norton will configure itself for you or you can change it to your liking. Zone Alarm basically is more a filtering program then it is a firewall. Norton did pass all the test at www.grc.com and it passed the leak test as well. Norton has much more options for you to use. I also suggest that people do not run two firewalls at once. If you have a GOOD firewall you only need one. Having two can cause conflict on one or the other firewall not to perform right , also vulnerabilites when you are running two firewalls.Norton takes up less resources compared to Zone Alarm. Both ZA and Norton are good firewalls . . I would suggest you to to www.pcflank.com and take ALL the test there. The best firewalls are hardware firewalls, they are incredibly secure. ..

The Zone Alarm Control Panel displays five configuration buttons:

ALERTS - At the bottom of this panel you can request that alerts be logged and/or displayed in a pop-up window. I suggest you log alerts so you can research issues. Initially most people also turn on the pop-up alerts just to verify that Zone Alarm is doing its job. When you get tired of the interruptions, and you will, turn it off.
    LOCK - In this panel you can set Zone Alarm to shut down all Internet activity either after a period of inactivity (recommended) or immediately if you suspect a problem.
    SECURITY - You can set Local and Internet zones to low, medium or high security. Set both to high unless it interferes with a service you must support. You can also block applications from acting as local or Internet servers. Again, try blocking both. If it causes problems with your IM service (ICQ, AOL IMs, etc.) you can unblock or, better yet, stop using IMs. They are all security sinkholes. Leave the MailSafe box checked.
    PROGRAMS - When Zone Alarm first detects a program attempting to access the Internet you are prompted to authorize or deny the access. The program and your response are added to the PROGRAMS list. You can use this panel to modify the access by right clicking a program. A green check mark indicates a program that has been granted access. Limit this to programs that require frequent access, such as browsers and email clients. A red "X" indicates an application that is not allowed to access the Internet. This should include any program that has no clear reason for access. Each time an application flagged with a question mark requests net access you will be prompted to authorize the access. A check mark in Pass Lock allows the app to access the net even when you lock Zone Alarm.
    The PROGRAMS screen also allows you to set a program as a "server." A server can respond to external requests for data. Music sharing and similar programs such as Morpheus may have to be set as servers but most programs should not.
    CONFIGURATION - Check mark the Load Zone Alarm at startup box. BTW our BBS will be up and running tomorrow as we are doing maintence on it today.

Adore HDC

Zone Alarm worked fine with TPF... Anyway get Agnitum Outpost and you certainly will not need anything else... It is high above all the other Software "Firewalls"
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]