If they know this now...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If they know this now...

If they know this now...

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-923472.html?tag=fd_top

interesting story here....i wonder how long before the riaa starts wanting to see cddb and gracenote logs...

Hyman said the company didn't keep enough information in its database to be useful to anti-piracy investigators. The technology does log Internet addresses and count CD titles, as well as keep a username for people checking the database, but it does not correlate this data, he said.

"We don't keep the data" that antipiracy investigators might want, Hyman said. "The last thing we'd ever want to do is become some kind of policing entity."
    uh huh...well maybe gracenote doesn't but the riaa probably has enough clout to get winamp and wmplayer to set a little code in place that does....this is AOL/TW and M$ afterall....

show of hands here...how many have phoning home turned off in winamp/wmplayer...and outbound connections blocked by your firewall....and if you don't....why don't you...

and on another topic...why does anyone care what eminem does...it just ain't music...it just hurts my old ears...(and i'm not talking the volume...)
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Last time I checked, turning off the outbound connections in winamp actually didn't work (meaning that the thing still made outbound conncection attempts - perhaps just not "as blatant").

Don't even get me started on RIAA... *sigh* LOL
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Interesting read. Eminem is one annoying person. His voice, his mannerisms, pretty much everything about him and his twin brother Kid Rock just annoys the crap out of me. I just want to cry to think how much money he's getting screwed out of by those damned pirates. WaaaaWaaaaaWaaaa....(obvious sarcasm)

-End of rant-
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Interesting read. Eminem is one annoying person. His voice, his mannerisms, pretty much everything about him and his twin brother Kid Rock just annoys the crap out of me. I just want to cry to think how much money he's getting screwed out of by those damned pirates. WaaaaWaaaaaWaaaa....(obvious sarcasm)

-End of rant-
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

not sure about winamp...doesn't surprise me.... i know for a fact that realplayer pays no attention to connect to internet settings...it tries to whether you say yes or no.... but tiny does a very nice job of letting me know all these bad habits...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

not sure about winamp...doesn't surprise me.... i know for a fact that realplayer pays no attention to connect to internet settings...it tries to whether you say yes or no.... but tiny does a very nice job of letting me know all these bad habits...

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I have more faith in winamp than I do any other standalone media player. I sure as hell don't use WMP or Realplayer. Besides, it's easy to tell if Winamp is a 'backdoor' culprit of sending stuff out even though the checkbox is unchecked and 'no internet connection is available'. Uncheck all that, check no internet available, and turn off winamp from the firewall. If it doesn't ever pop up, then keeping the faith with winamp is a good thing.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I have more faith in winamp than I do any other standalone media player. I sure as hell don't use WMP or Realplayer. Besides, it's easy to tell if Winamp is a 'backdoor' culprit of sending stuff out even though the checkbox is unchecked and 'no internet connection is available'. Uncheck all that, check no internet available, and turn off winamp from the firewall. If it doesn't ever pop up, then keeping the faith with winamp is a good thing.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Thumbs up

MUSIC is right up there with e-mail as one
    of the greatest threats to computer security.

Here's an idea. Buy your own instrument.
    Stop listening to commercial music.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Thumbs up

MUSIC is right up there with e-mail as one
    of the greatest threats to computer security.

Here's an idea. Buy your own instrument.
    Stop listening to commercial music.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.