Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Msg Boards

Antionline Quitter..Srsly

Msg Boards

ok well here is the deal i have noticed over the last new months that it is murder...there are just too many boards and u forget wot topics u have posted on...maybe we should just keep 5 big boards for up to 10 pages each board that way we save not only database space but one can browse thru them easier. Maybe they can be "General", "Crypto", "*nix", "Microsoft", and "Development"(for programming and such). this way it will be much easier i think
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Banned
    If you're losing track of the treads you post in, there are two ways to check....

Subscribe to the tread, and check your site subscriptions when you log on, or
    Check your user profile, it lists the last 20 treads in which you have posted....

yeah, it is not too hard to figure out what you posted on. i really dislike this suggestion
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

i know of those options but even then the Database is getting huge i bet....am i right JP?
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Somehow I don't think that changing the # of forums will really scale down the database. The large portion of the DB is the posts and flames.

At best, it would save query time, as there'd be less tables...but then there'd be more posts in those tables so maybe it would make it even slower to load a few hundred extra posts in that table.

Bah! The only way to really downscale the DB is to 1) delete the thousands of users who've never posted (or have only the "Hi I'm new here post") or 2) delete the hundred flame posts.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Well, if you go into a user profile, you can see the last 10 or so posts you have made... Just go to your profile.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

databases are meant to be huge....

aside from subscribing....there already is a simple way of finding all of the threads you've posted to....just click on the magnifiying glass beside your nick in any post and it will search for all your posts ordered from newest to oldest...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Banned
    I don't really agree with this suggetion. It is ment to be a huge BBS.

ok well i was just suggesting it i am like that i like to keep things simple...and centralized...

w00t in like 3-4 days i became an jr. member cool