What's the best way to trace network runs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to trace network runs?

I have to completely re-configure my network at work. About 20 puters connected by 2 hubs.

I want to go to the hubs and mark which runs go to which workstations.

With phones we used to use a "sounder" and a "sniffer". I suppose I could do that here but, unfortunately my old phone equipment is long gone.

Anyone have a nice and easy way to do this.

I was going to make an RJ45 plug with a loop and plug it in at the workstation location and then check for continuity at the hub with a voltmeter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

KapperDog

I have to completely re-configure my network at work. About 20 puters connected by 2 hubs.

I want to go to the hubs and mark which runs go to which workstations.

With phones we used to use a "sounder" and a "sniffer". I suppose I could do that here but, unfortunately my old phone equipment is long gone.

Anyone have a nice and easy way to do this.

I was going to make an RJ45 plug with a loop and plug it in at the workstation location and then check for continuity at the hub with a voltmeter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

KapperDog

You can use a sounder, but be aware that sounders tend to F up the LAN (read: work on a sunday and do it) or you can get Ethernet test equimpment which Is what I recommend

You can use a sounder, but be aware that sounders tend to F up the LAN (read: work on a sunday and do it) or you can get Ethernet test equimpment which Is what I recommend

Thanks, Rat. Any links to a fav site that sells the test equip?
    KapperDog

Thanks, Rat. Any links to a fav site that sells the test equip?
    KapperDog

www.pcConnections.com carriers a full line overnight shipping and a good returns policy.

i just did it, 2 people, walkie talkies, pull it out, plug it in on the WS side, watch the lights on the hub and tell the other what letter(hub) and number to mark it.

you could buss it out if with no worry if you pulled the cables first. a pocket AM radio with a ferrite antenna will pick up a buzzer when passed close to the end of the cable.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

www.pcConnections.com carriers a full line overnight shipping and a good returns policy.

i just did it, 2 people, walkie talkies, pull it out, plug it in on the WS side, watch the lights on the hub and tell the other what letter(hub) and number to mark it.

you could buss it out if with no worry if you pulled the cables first. a pocket AM radio with a ferrite antenna will pick up a buzzer when passed close to the end of the cable.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Looks like pcConnections is gone. The name is for sale at buydomains.com.

Someone told me I could put my tongue on the cable and get a small shock (like licking a 9 volt battery) on the live connections. LMAO

I'm not sure I'm into trying that but, I give him an A+ for original thinking. Makes me wonder how he figured that out.LOL
    KapperDog

Looks like pcConnections is gone. The name is for sale at buydomains.com.

Someone told me I could put my tongue on the cable and get a small shock (like licking a 9 volt battery) on the live connections. LMAO

I'm not sure I'm into trying that but, I give him an A+ for original thinking. Makes me wonder how he figured that out.LOL
    KapperDog