School Project, help appreciated !
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School Project, help appreciated !

Banned

School Project, help appreciated !

Hello,

I'm a danish student from Denmark, currently doing a school project about hacking, computer security and subjects alike. We have many unanswered questions, and are eager to know more.

One thing that struck us as very interesting was the program known as "Back Orifice"...

However, we were unable to obtain the link to this, and were hoping that maybe someone in here could provide us with a working link. Also, links to other usefull information pages would be very helpful. And for the record, we have no intentions of using the program "Back Orifice" for any kind of illegal and/or unethical ways. Our intention is to do sort of a show and tell, demonstrating "Back Orifice" on two of the school computers.

As mentioned above, any help will be highly appreciated... If you chose to go into further depth with helping us, we'll even send you a copy of our assignment, which already contains detailed analysis' of the different aspects of hacking, programs, etc. It might even educate you...

On advance, thank you.

Cheers,
    Group members, A, J & K.

Back Orfice. Try searching Google before you ask simple questions like where you can find popular software.

So, you're going to demonstrate Back Orfice on two of the school computers? Is that wise?

Send me your assignment via PM, so I can look at it.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Hi,
    Here at AO we (at least I am) are normally suspicious of such requests. Why don't you post some of the work you have already done and let us look at it. I'm sure the knowledgeable people here will be glad to offer pointers and suggestions. You will probably get a better response if people know your request is legitimate.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Banned
    Back Orfice. Try searching Google before you ask simple questions like where you can find popular software.
    Aha, well, sorry. All we found was dead links and the likes.

Also, the link you gave us provided nothing but virus infected files. School virus detectors are constantly updated and very much up to date. So, unless the file Orifice2K.sfx is SUPPOSED to be a "usable" virus, well...

We really don't feel like getting the computers hacked or shut down just yet, we would like to finish our project first thank you...

And we would also like to finish and edit our project before we hand it out to anyone. Our deadline is set to be the 10th of June.

Cheers

Yes, asking for Back Orfice is somewhat suspicious, although there are valid reasons for doing so. As preacherman suggested, post your articles etc. up here so that we know what you want to do and can tell that you want help for legitimate purposes.

Also, the link you gave us provided nothing but virus infected files. School virus detectors are constantly updated and very much up to date. So, unless the file Orifice2K.sfx is SUPPOSED to be a "usable" virus, well...
    Hmmm... here's an interesting thought:
    You request a link to a virus and when you fint it the antivirus software tells you it's infected!
    think about it a minit or two i'm sure it will hit you!

Sounds like someone in the mailbag!

Originally posted here by mOo-Cow
    Aha, well, sorry. All we found was dead links and the likes.
    I beg to differ, if you search for back orfice on Google, you will find that the top link takes you to the Cult of the Dead Cow site, who are the people behind BO2K.

BO2K is *not*, I repeat *not*, a virus. It is a trojan horse, which is something completely different (although it still can be classed as malicious software). Your virus detectors however would likely pick it up as such.

We really don't feel like getting the computers hacked or shut down just yet, we would like to finish our project first thank you...
    Install BO2K on a machine that isn't connected to any network (including the Internet) and you should be safe.

And we would also like to finish and edit our project before we hand it out to anyone. Our deadline is set to be the 10th of June.
    Hang on, a minute ago you were offering your project to us so that we could see what you were doing. Now you say you don't want to hand it out. I find that somewhat suspicious.

Also, don't expect members of AO, or indeed anyone else, to do your homework for you, especially if you can't be bothered to search the web beforehand and give us as much information as possible.

Also,what are your other questions? If you're interested in something other than Bo2k, why don't you post that?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Hmm from experience BO2K or what ever the current file name will be stopped by even the weakest AV proggy..
    sorry guys.. why not down load RTVNC.. most of the fun just none of the naughty bits.. oh an most AV's won't worry about it.. now for your next problem... The policies on your schools computers.. but that between you and your schools sys-admin..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by preacherman481
    Hi,
    Here at AO we (at least I am) are normally
    too
    suspicious of such requests.
    Originally posted here by pwaring

I beg to differ, if you search for back orfice on Google, you will find that the top link takes you to the Cult of the Dead Cow site, who are the people behind BO2K.

Also, don't expect members of AO, or indeed anyone else, to do your homework for you, especially if you can't be bothered to search the web beforehand and give us as much information as possible.
    /me really really agrees with the Google-advice but reminds that this person doesn't expect anyone to do his homework, he was trying to get a link to BO.

I don't see the point not giving these links people request, they can be found with Google in less than a minute and sure they will somehow get the links if people here don't give them. I just mean that if the rationale is even as good as in this message and the program is not the kinda thing that kills the whole internet, we should give the advice. Not links to actual viruses, they're bad stuff, but like Back Orifice... One can easily protect oneself against it with a properly configured firewall and a trojan/virus/spyware scanner..
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25