cannot boot my linux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cannot boot my linux

Question cannot boot my linux

I have a problem here....
    i am using;
    - GRUB boot loader
    - Linux 7.2 Distro with KDE and GNOME

i Cannot boot my linux... and i don't know how to fix it.... so i wrote down what happen when i try to load my linux:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...bla bla bla [OK]....
    ...bla bla bla [OK]...

root contains a file system with errors, check forced

root : | =============== |% (until it finish)

unattached inode 2050

root : UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; run fsck MANUALLY
    (i.e. , without -a or -p options)

*** An error occured during the file system check
    *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
    *** when you leave the shell.

Give root password for maintenance.
    (Or type Control-D for normal startup);

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    after that i enter the password and....
    then i try to use Control-D then the system reboot and still going trough the same problem..
    so i try to use the fsck... but i dont know how to use it....

soo... anyone have any idea to boot my linux (with the GUIs) ?

you mean 7.2 SuSE? if so I know what the problem is and can help you, just pm me about it, it's not that big of a problem, I suppose you have WIndows on that same box?

If you have two OS's on one harddisk then boot Linux, when it asks for root password then enter it,
    then type the following in the command shell

e2fsck -f -c -y /dev/hda (/dev/hda-> change this to the dammaged file system on your box)

-f checks if the file system is good
    -y takes yes as an answer to all questions
    -c looks for badlocks

then type enter and wait for it to finish, depending on the size of your disk and system speed it should be done within 10 minutes, after that reboot the system

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    There is a perfect example of why ext3fs is so nice. Along with XFS, ReiserFS, or any other journaling file system for that matter.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Something in me seems to recall big disclaimers saying "if in doubt, use LILO." (instead of GRUB) I know I'm paraphrasing, but...

But, as someone pointed out, looks like the disk isn't fsck'ing correctly... should just be able to boot it up, fsck it, and then "exit" and be on your merry way. Oh yeah... don't just turn off UN*X systems when you are done with them, use shutdown or, more specifically, halt. It will save you from having these sorts of problems in the future.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Originally posted here by draziw

But, as someone pointed out, looks like the disk isn't fsck'ing correctly... should just be able to boot it up, fsck it, and then "exit" and be on your merry way. Oh yeah... don't just turn off UN*X systems when you are done with them, use shutdown or, more specifically, halt. It will save you from having these sorts of problems in the future.
    Yes but fsck just doesn't do the job, you need to know the right parameters, even if you just turn off the power from your Linux box it should be able to recover, a lot of people who use 1 harddisk and partition it to use both Linux and Windows will at some point get the same error as cyclops07, it's not been solved but then again it's not the Linux distro's fault, it is some problem with windows itself.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    ok i had that same problem and yes it was running win xp on the other partition all i did was reinstall corel linux cuz i really have nothing on linux since my ISP doesnt support it ....and i was running LILO not grubs
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Originally posted here by emrys
    linux since my ISP doesnt support it
    It's been a while. So I can't remember where it was. But someone wrote a program for AOL, Compuserve and MSN users so that they could connect via ppp dialup with Linux. Maybe someone here in the group can remember where it was/ If it's a regular tcp/ip dialup ISP you should be able to connect unless you have a winmodem.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Originally posted here by emrys
    ok i had that same problem and yes it was running win xp on the other partition all i did was reinstall corel linux cuz i really have nothing on linux since my ISP doesnt support it ....and i was running LILO not grubs

In some cases if it's really bad, then fsck won't work and you are forced to reinstall, so whatever you do on your Linux system, back it up regularly.

Here you go: THis is for all that want to use aol and compuserv with linux

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAOL.html

The name of the program is PengAOL from SourceForge.

Just checked..The link in the tutorial dont work for the program but you can get the software here http://www.pengaol.apinc.org/eng/ Damit, Just checked and the download page is not up. Well atleast there is some more info about it here... Im sure the file is somewhere in the darkness of the internet.
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!