Linux Vendors Gang Up On Red Hat

Thread: Linux Vendors Gang Up On Red Hat

Post Linux Vendors Gang Up On Red Hat

The link: http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,...a=27405,00.asp

A number of Linux vendors will announce on Thursday that they have agreed to standardize on a single Linux distribution to try to take on Red Hat Inc.'s dominance in the industry.

A media advisory issued on Tuesday said executives from Caldera, Conectiva, SuSE and Turbolinux on Thursday will make "a major announcement that will change the shape of Linux worldwide."

An executive at one of the companies, who declined to be identified, confirmed to eWEEK on Tuesday that the announcement will revolve around a single standardized Linux distribution, but he declined to elaborate ahead of Thursday's announcement.
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Out of the 4 companies, the only one worth a penny is SuSE. Turbo makes a good system if you want to run a baeowolf cluster (my spelling sucks) but its way overpriced for that. I just hope that the other 3 companies don't destroy what SuSE has going for it right now....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Lets hope they don't take MS's approach and sacrifice security by make some of it closed source. On the other hand with SuSe on it if they get this going they may be able to give MS a real run for the money. I smell a new revolution coming and its not gunna be pretty.

Letís just hope that they have some uber Linux distro in the oven because if it sucks there all done for.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.