Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspect Claims Al Qaeda Hacked Microsoft

Post Suspect Claims Al Qaeda Hacked Microsoft

The Link: http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/173039.html

A suspected member of the Al Qaeda terrorist network claimed that Islamic militants infiltrated Microsoft and sabotaged the company's Windows XP

During interrogation, Afroze, 25, claimed that a member or members of Osama bin Laden's Al Qaeda network, posing as computer programmers, were able to gain employment at Microsoft and attempted to plant "trojans, trapdoors, and bugs in Windows XP," according to Ravi Visvesvaraya Prasad, a New Delhi information systems and telecommunication consultant.
    I think we can safely pass this off as BS. How are a bunch of dirt farmers form Afghanistan supposed to get jobs at M$ by posing computer programmers? M$ might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but they sure don’t hire hobo’s off the street. I’m pretty sure that you would have to demonstrate some of your skills before they even consider hireling you. Besides why even place bugs in windows, the M$ programmers will do it for you anyways.

whether or not this story is true...and i doubt it....

bunch of dirt farmers form Afghanistan supposed to get jobs at M$ by posing computer programmers?
    this makes me think you assume because someone is from afganistan that they are not able to learn to be a programmer...don't forget that most of al queda aren't afghani...they're saudi, sudanese, and a whole bunch of others...some with very high levels of education...some not...but to dismiss the whole group as "dirt farmers" is very dangerous and foolish...it's one of the reasons 911 happened...no one believed it could...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Good point zigar. But the comment and the end was just ment as a little joke. Guess i'm just politically incorrect red neck at heart.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I would like to see the proof that he even held a job at MS. Aside from "claiming that he did", maybe he did, and I missed that part of the article. This looks like a 'copycat'. Someone trying to gain noteriety. About being a big bad Al-Qaeda terrorist.

Some of the best programmers come from poor nations. That is what makes computers so kick ass. Is that, anyone can become very good. No matter who they are, where they are, even if they are handi-capped.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

I heard about it on the news, and the guy was from FLordia I believe, and working with Al Qaeda.
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

Thumbs up

MS is perfectly able to put in their own bugs
    without help from Osama Bin Laden.

That said, it is probably a good idea to be a little
    more concerned with who is hired by software
    companies.

It's not enough that they have talent, but what they
    intend to do with their talent. And BTW, that applies equally to
    home-grown citizens.
    There are a lot of people out there that you don't want
    wandering around the halls of Microsoft.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Excellent post...This post makes antionline all worth my time today!!

AntiOnline Newbie
    There are a lot of people out there that you don't want wandering around the halls of Microsoft.
    And there are a lot of them you don't want wandering the halls of your company, but yet some of them are offered "jobs" with the government.

I saw this even before XP came out... Or was it just after...Anyways i think it is bullshit.. I have found no backdoors in my windowsxp
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

Remember that The Boot sector infector was written by 2 pakistani brothers, and that was about 20 years ago!
    PakBrain and Brain, which was spread by a Warez version of an office application, and hit the us by students shring the files.

Here`s more info on the virus .
    http://www.bocklabs.wisc.edu/~janda/sladehis.html#C11
    ------
    Preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html