samba and ics

Thread: samba and ics

samba and ics

im wondering if you can use samba to connect to a winXP machine, and use ICS, or a proxy, or whatever to get the linux box on the net. and if so, how would you go about it? just wondering... thanks for anything youve got.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    ???...can u explain exactly wot u want to do?...remotly connect to a winxp box thru samba and then get ur linux box which is wot samba is on to connect to the net on the win xp connection? plz corect me if i interpreted wrongly
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

my setup is this. I have 1 XP box connected to the net, broadband style. I also have a *nix box sitting around. What Im wondering, is can I network the two, standard cat5 style, then use samba to connect the *nix box to the XP box, and from there, use ICS to get the linux box on the net. Or will I have to use a proxy of some sort.

i believe that u can use simple tcp if the linux is a new version....if ti is an old version of linux i have no idea
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

If you want a proxy, samba has nothing to do with it. Just go to your *nix box, and set up your network connection, but have the *nix box use the IP of the XP box as the "gateway" address, and as a DNS server. I think that should do it. I have something similar working on this machine.

Example:

LAN IP of XP box: 90.0.0.1
    LAN IP of *nix box: 90.0.0.2
    Subnet of XP box: 255.255.255.0
    Subnet of *nix box: 255.255.255.0

*nix box DNS server: 90.0.0.1
    *nix box default gateway: 90.0.0.1

I'm not using ICS as the proxy software, though, but the basic settings are there.
    If your LAN IPs are different, substitute accordingly.

It's basically a normal lan connection, and then you change the DNS/Gateway for the *nix box.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

ya wot he said

cool. thanks alot guys

np (he did all the work)