Simple, Quick Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple, Quick Question

Simple, Quick Question

Is a *nix box connected to the internet the equivelant of a shell acount? Someone care to compare and contrast for me on the subject? mmm.. brings me back to high school class.. =) Thanks
    Posting... ahhh the possibilities
    -Undy-

No a *nix box connected to the internet is not a shell account, per se. You may have shell accounts ON a *nix box. what exactly are asking?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    that i know of a nix box on the net box on the net ...like any OS on the net now if u remotly connect to the nix box u are probably in a shell ...u know nice little command line and so on. that is the beauty of nix u can have multiple ppl from all over the world connected on the same box and still have stability and speed. hope i answered ur question
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Banned
    I've stared at the question long enough and I think I know where your goin' w/ it. . .to a degree yes a nix box connected to the internet is the same as a shell account, in respect to the tools you can possibly run in a *nix environment, but when you say shell account, that implies that you have access to another box(not yours, usually) that you can run remote commands on, as if you were seated at the actual computer executing the commands. Compare and contrast. . .you can screw w/ your box as much as you want, break it even, I know I have, time and time again, you can control everything (permissions, etc.), but on a shell account, unless you've got root, you are limited as to what you can do b/c of restrictions placed on your account. . .hope that helped a little.

KorpDeath nailed it... the UN*X box provides services equivalent to shell accounts (and has many user logins possibly with "shells"). Having it on a network or the Internet is another subject altogether and is not pertinent (ie. you can have a shell on a UN*X box sitting on your desktop and not have it connected anywhere... as I believe Scott McNealy once said, "The network is the computer" -- that always made me wonder, Ok, so what's with "Transceiver cable problem?")
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    /me sticks with his post
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Alright, thanks guys! =) It allll makes sense to me now.
    Posting... ahhh the possibilities
    -Undy-

Still doesn't make any sense to me, but oh wel. I'm sure I'll get over it.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

korp death knows his $|-|1t listen 2 him
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

lol korp.. lemme speak to u in lameman's terms..

a shell account is like a locker in your school.. where you and only you have the access to it and u can put anything in it.. but u have to pay for it.. hehehe..

so basically its like Rent-A-HDDSpace.

tho i neva encountered a shell account that's not *nix...