Hacking from a Palm? Can it be done?

Thread: Hacking from a Palm? Can it be done?

Banned

Question Hacking from a Palm? Can it be done?

Can it be done?

In theory, Yes....
    Practical, Not really...

Although I don't speak of experience, here is what I figure...

If you have a Palm (never ones) with either (modem and cellphone, or cradle to computer) and a telnet program. It can be done....

Is it practical, not really....

The screen is small, everything zooms by the display and there are time-out problems with the cellphone and so.....

Just thought I'd point this out.....

Offcourse it's possible, a computer is a computer.
    And practical? You're definatly right on that one. NO.
    Bleh.

if you have one of those new Linux PDA's, they got bash and stuff, so I guess if they can connect over a network like other computers it should be possible.

Yes Palm devices can be used to access networks. Seems I recall an exploit with their infared beam function. Needless to say many people do not secure their PDA's very well and many keep login info and passwords on them as well as other information as well. So if there is access to the PDA even out of the cradel, modem etc, very easy to beam the file to your PDA if it's locked and take it from there to your own system and crack the password. Like I said most people don't secure with a password because it is combersome to enter it from the palm unless it is simple. They are very weak links into networks and a can of your own mobile PDA users will make you cringe at the network info people keep on them. They are a very weak link in secure networks unless users understand what can be had off of them.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

I forget which vendor it is. But one of the IT support companys offer a special Blackberry setup with a Linux OS and a nice GUI to remotely dump logs, reset accounts etc... Just about anything you need. CDW was offering it at one point. It was in several of my Windows2000 magazines.

Basicaly, if you can connect, have access and can execute commands with a device. It will work. But like you said is it practicle? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Myself, I would rather use the ole' trusty laptop and vpn into the network or direct dial into it.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

hmmm well u can LOCALLY hack a palm.. but remote PALM hacking is not possible yet.. maybe in the near future when the connectivity is stable enough..

Banned
    Remote Palm hacking is possible but not stable....

The new Nokia cellphones have a built-in modem which you can plug your Palm into...
    Problem: Air Time and Money... (Not to mention lousy reception for transmitting packets)