Thread: content advisor...

content advisor...

My school has some kind of content advisor enabled on it because whenever I try to visit a site like www.stickdeath.com, it tells me "This site is restricted". It is not the Windows Content Advisor wizard because I checked in internet options and it is not enabled. Have any ideas of what this could be? and how I could crack into it? Maybe it is somehow restricted through the internet service provider.

The Iceman Cometh
    It's most likely restricted through a content advisor either on your local campus server, the school district's server, or the ISP which the school/school district is using. My suggestion would be just deal with it and check out pages that are restricted from home. They block those sites for a reason

AJ

I think that their opinion is that whilst you are at school, you can use the web to enhance your education. It is their Internet connection, so I for one dont blame them. Schools dont want to be paying for the bandwidth for traffic going to www.stickdeath.com!!!

When at school -> use their Internet connection for school use.
    When at home -> use you Internet connection for home use.

Nearly all school/work Internet Traffic is restricted to some extent, and for very good reason. It is a pain, but it is something that we all have to deal with.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

I would tend to agree with both SoggyBottom and avdven... your school is paying for the connections to (hopefully) enhance your school-related knowledge, experience, etc. This is completely within their rights, regardless of your objections...since, ultimately, you don't pay for, or take responsibility for, the traffic on those connections. It IS possible to override those restrictions, but I'm not going to tell you how, and neither is anyone else here, if I estimate things correctly. Save such sites for your personal connection, where you bear the responsibility for viewing them. It's a liability thing in the school's eyes, and right they are.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

i agree 2 why dont u keep u r private surfing 4 home?
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Banned
    Try opening the site from a frameset site... some restricting programs miss that...
    (only look for the addy that's in the addy bar...)

ya I know it is for educational purposes but if its for educational only, why would they allow access to gaming sites? I would like to have some fun at school.

Thumbs up

You school like meny others has a in house network. The reason why your not able to get throw to your site is b/c it's blocked by the server. We have the same think at our school.

Here is how I do what I want on our network. See the people here at my school are real dumb. I Got our network admins screen name. Then I went back to class and started my computer. During startup I went into the bios, and then entered the dos prompt. From there I reset the network Admins password. Then I Restarted my computer Now when I went to login it would take what ever password I gave it. In this case I set it password back to the default password *Witch was password* Now I set a backdoor so I can be a superuser any time I want. Then I signed off and restarted the computer again. This time I entered my own account, and tested my backdoor. Thats what I did I hope it will work for you.

*Note my school runs on Windows 98. I have not tryed this on any other network. As far as I know the little dos password trick only works on 98. If you don't know the dos command im talking about pm me and I will send it to you.

*Note Make sure you set the Network admins password to the networks default password. This will make him think that windows hit the shitter and lost his password. He will think nothing of it after all it is windows...

*Sorry for any type errors*

TwIsT3D

well if your school has the site blocked it no doubt has its reasons but you could always try a service like that offered at http-tunnel.com
    what is love but contempt for hate?

| More info...

This is again one of those "How do I get the password for computer xxx?" questions where no specs were given... Is you school running Windows 9x, NT, Linux, is the browser Netscape / IE / Opera / Lynx, more things we would need to know??
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25