Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usefull Google tips

Usefull Google tips

I'm not sure I'd consider this a tutorial, but it seems like the most logical forum to place it in.

The following tips I got from an article titled Stupid Google Tricks by Particle Bored in the Spring 2002 issue of 2600 The Hacker Quarterly

Here are some uses for google other than the simple search for keywords:
    -You can use the language tools link on main page of google to set the language to any language you'd like.

-use: 'search terms filetype:ext' to search for files with a specific DOS extension (i.e. xls, mbd, dll)

-use: 'search terms site:site to search' to search a specific site for information.

-use: 'search terms link:specify site' to search for sites that have linked to a specific site.

-use: 'allintitle: search terms' to search for sites with specific words or phrases in their titles (notice the syntax for this search, there is a space after the colon)

-you can also use google to search for a specific prefix or area code, and to perform reverse lookups on a phone number (enter # as search term in dashed format)

-The final tip given in the article by Particle Bored is:
    You may want to use this final trick quickly, since I fear the functionality may disappear soon after this article is published. Have you ever found the perfect document, only to be denied access because the .mil site where it resides doesn't like your source IP? If you look within the query results you will hopefully find links that say "Cached" or "View as HTML" Follow the link and you will be able to view Google's copy of the document.
    I have chosen to directly quote the author on the last point as I do not fully understand it.

One last note...when using the language tools link, notice in the "Google interface in your language" box....hacker is one of the language options.

Wow!! Google is an all purpose tool.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Faqt> The last tip......

Google actually goes out and downloads pages to their server. Sometimes, when you do a search, you will see a link that says "cached" or "View as html". The cached links are links to their own servers. It is copies of a page that exists(existed) somewhere else. The "View as html" comes up when a link goes to a pdf file. You can "view as html" instead of having to download the pdf to your computer. What they are saying is that sometime you don't have access to a certain document, but google had access at one point, and may have saved that document/page/whatever on their servers so you can still see it.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Thanks for the clarification Souleman.
    I actually understood that concept of 'cached', but wasn't sure what was meant by .mil server not liking your IP source.
    I don't think I've ever received a message about not having a likable IP address when trying to access a document.
    Is this something that people encounter often?
    Faqt

I would assume that certain government and military sites block IPs from certain countries.

Here is the official page, for these tips:
    http://www.google.com/help/features.html

I read the same article in 2600, but couldn't remember all of the tips, so i looked around on google's site, and low and behold, i found 'em.
    savIRC :: The Multi-Platform IRC Client v. 1.8 [Released 9.04.02]

oops- my bad, I didn't think to see if they were on the google site....oh well
    Perhaps I should stick to posting in the newbies forum.
    Faqt

thanks for the Link gstudios, and Faqt, good tut just the same..

Cheers..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

thats really usefull, thx

Good hint Faqt,gstudios
    Here is the official page, for these tips:
    http://www.google.com/help/features.html

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    hey look, bello posted almost the exact same thing as gstudios. Although gstudios posted it 4 posts earlier, and about 13 days earlier.....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman