really sad.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: really sad.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar

really sad.

I just found this article, and thought it was pretty sad. I was trying to find out when "The two towers" Lord of the Ring movie was going to be released......

An internet site has gained nearly 4000 signatures on a petition to change the name of the second instalment of The Lord of the Rings. The site has drawn angry responses from people on both sides of the debate.
    "The name The Two Towers was around long before Mr Bin Laden was probably even a glint in the milkman's eyes. What happened on 9/11 is a tragedy yes, but life goes on and we can't afford to be such pussies as to be offended by the word `towers'," wrote one.
    The petition reads: "Those of us who have seen The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring know what an amazing director Peter Jackson is . . . However Peter Jackson has decided to tastelessly name the sequel The Two Towers. The title is clearly meant to refer to the attacks on the World Trade Center. In this post-September 11 world, it is unforgivable that this should be allowed to happen. The idea is both offensive and morally repugnant."
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1...2a2202,FF.html

btw, the date on the article is May 31st, which I thought was also pretty strange, until I realized in was a .nz site
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

my my. that is sad.

ignorance can be bliss sometimes...
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Man, for anyone to think that the directory is 'clearly refering to the attacks on the WTC', they need to just sit the ***** down and reread the entire trilogy because then they'd KNOW that the title has been around LONG BEFORE the towers were even thought to be built. This is yet another example of 'we don't want to get over what happened and any issue relating to it must be bad and we must condemn it'...dumbasses. We ALL lost something on 9/11 but a majority of us have gotten over it and moved on.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Banned
    Err..... Souleman, are you sad that people are trying to petition off the title of the sequel, or are you sad that the name of the sequel is "The Two Towers"?

Personally speaking, isn't it time to move on and stop letting things like this control the flow of life? WWF (Oops, WWE) changed the name of their December pay-per-view last year from Armaggeddon to Vengence in respect of the whole 9/11, but this year, they're changing it back. Does this mean that everytime something has a title which could suggest something about 9/11, that it'll have to be changed?

Hi mom!
    I know this is painful for many people, but this is ridiculous. Do those people petition to change the 911 emergency number too? Let's change the name of the month!

And even _if_ the name would be ment to refer to the NY-attacks - aren't there a bunch of movies about WWII that do exactly the same. Can I mention the Titanic movie? Given time, I'm sure that video's about last years attacks will be produced, and hey, if they'll be any good, I'll probably going to watch them too, just as I did with most WWII movies...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

What a bunch of ignorant morons. How can someone complain about 9/11 insensitivity on a title that was written in 1974, 27 years before. It's like David Copperfield suing over the book of the same name by Dickens.

Is Return of the King a reference to Hussein? Is it too close to Return of the Jedi, and hence that title will get nixed?

INFEDELS!!
    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn\'t die in vain. He died in Washington D.C.

Banned
    Odd how Pearl Harbour is a thing of the past now and it was, IMHO, an ok movie....
    9/11 will be the same...

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    i agree that stinks,....i mean it is a classic why would change the name...nd no matter wot i dont think tolkiens son will change it no matter how many signatures come and go
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

AntiOnline Newbie
    And I supposed out of respect we should change the emergency phone number from 9-1-1 to like say 9-2-2. And reserve 9-1-1 and 9-11 for the journalists who are too lazy to actually say September 11th...

i must agree... people just need to shut the hell up sometimes...

9/11 was a big deal to many of us but we CANNOT let it distrupt our way of life like it was meant to do...

Its a movie name.... if it honestly bothers u that much then dont watch the movie!
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..