Thread: Mac OSX server running BIND

Mac OSX server running BIND

Im trying to use BIND for the Mac os X server but i ran into a little snag. I have to edit a file in the /etc directory, named.conf. By the way let me point out i really dont know linux or Unix to well. So i tried to edit that file using emacs but it told me it was a read only file. Now im in the system as an administrator but when i tried to chmod the file it told me i couldn't do it. Am i missing something. If im logged into OS X as an admin, am i logged in to the shell as an admin???? I also have to change a couple more files in the var/named directory and im getting the same exact message that i cant chmod the file to let me in to edit it.
    Also when i did the ls -l command it showed be this for the files i need to change
    -rw-r--r--.
    I thought that being an admin i could write over this file????????

-SOIA
    Alright take it ease

Administrator and root are not the same thing in OSX. You have to enable the root account, as it's disabled by default. I don't use OSX and I can't vouch for this personally, but it's something I found on a quick Google search:

1) Open up the NetInfo Manager app in the Utilities folder of your Applications directory.
    2) Click the lock at the bottom and authenticate yourself
    3) Choose from the menu Domain->Security->Enable Root User. (You may have to set a root password at this point; I forget. If it asks you to, do it)
    4) Quit NetInfo Manager.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

I found where to go and then i got to the root password. I never assigned a root password, as far as i know, but it still asks for one. I tried all the admin passwords i know but i couldnt do anything with it.
    Alright take it ease