Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NScan vs. SuperScan

NScan vs. SuperScan

I've been collecting port scanners and vulerablity scanners for linux and windows and for windows ive found two of the best SuperScan by Foundstone and NScan by necrosoft. I was wondering what yall thought? (7th Sphere Port Scan is fast!)

I too use SuperScan, the only drawback is it dosnt scan UDP ports.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

I used SuperScanner when I was using Windows. It was simple to use and it worked well. If anyone wanted a freeware scanner for Windows I would recommend it.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I use also superscanner, but another fun tool is languard.
    http://www.gfi.com/languard/
    It's a more complete scanner, not only a portscanner.
    But I cannot really use it, since our ISP blocks ports under 1024 :-(

One of the best scanners i've seen is nmap. There is only one minior problem - it work with it's full features only under *nix OS but there is also a windows version.
    Try it if you want - http://www.insecure.org/nmap/nmap_download.html

All tools above are worth mentioning and give a try, especially Nmap! For the good cause have I put together a small list with other good tools for Windows and a short description for them .

Good alround tools for Windows (small networks), demo available

Source: NetscanTools Standard.

Features:
    Name Server Lookup (NSLOOKUP), Zone Transfer domain listing, Ping, Traceroute, Whois with automatic server selection, Port Scanner, Network Ping Sweep Scanner (NetScanner), Time Sync, Finger, Ident Server, NetBIOS Info and local shares, Daytime, Quote, Chargen, Echo, Winsock Info, Services and Protocols database checks, Telnet-like Terminal, Hosts file Management and "What's New At NWPSW"--a simple URL grabber.
    One of my favorite alround tools for Windows, not free

Source: NetscanTools Pro 200x.

Features:
    IP Packet Viewer (for Windows XP and 2000 only) can show the IP packets going by your wired ethernet card.
    NetScanner is a ping sweep utility with DNS queries, NetBIOS node status queries, whois and ARP sweep. Returns whois data, NetBIOS name table and MAC address (from ARP or NetBIOS queries to Windows machines) and ARP information if you are using a network interface card like ethernet. IP and MAC address associations can be maintained in a .dbf database.
    NetBIOS share detection, SNMP tools, and Port Scanning tools.
    DNS Checking and Testing including NSLOOKUP with 43 record query options including IPv6 AAAA record queries. DIG is included. Check zone transfers with List Domain or Dig w/AXFR. DNS Validation (IP to Hostname to IP) on the HyperTrans tab.
    Email Testing, Relay Checking and Address Validation.
    Numerous other utilities like Subnet Calculator, TTCP for network speed checking, DHCP server discovery, Ping, TraceRoute, Whois featuring SmartWhois automatic server selection, IP/MAC address database, and obscured URL decoding.
    Another good and interesting tool.

Source: Netcat

Features:

Outbound or inbound connections, TCP or UDP, to or from any ports
    Full DNS forward/reverse checking, with appropriate warnings
    Ability to use any local source port
    Ability to use any locally-configured network source address
    Built-in port-scanning capabilities, with randomizer
    Built-in loose source-routing capability
    Can read command line arguments from standard input
    Slow-send mode, one line every N seconds
    Optional ability to let another program service inbound connections

Some of the potential uses of netcat:

Script backends
    Scanning ports and inventorying services
    Backup handlers
    File transfers
    Server testing and simulation
    Firewall testing
    Proxy gatewaying
    Network performance testing
    Address spoofing tests
    Protecting X servers
    1001 other uses you`ll likely come up with
    With this tool it's possible to do more advanced scans like with a limited Nmap.

Source: IpEye
    ipEye is a TCP port scanner for Windows 2000 that can do SYN, FIN, Null and Xmas scans.
    Good tool for UDP portscans.

Source: WUPS
    WUPS (Windows UDP Port Scanner) is a UDP port scanner for Windows.
    My favorite TCP and UDP portscanner for Windows.

Source: Fscan
    FScan is a command-line port scanner. It will scan for both TCP and UDP ports.
    IMHO a scan should be done from *nix since there are limitations when doing a scan in Windows. And there are many nice tools for *nix not even invented for Windows yet .

I have all of those tools but my favorites are EssentialNetTools, IP-tools, Retnia, and WS_PingProPack along with SuperScan and NScan. But For *nix NMap is the supreme ruler. The Windows version is ok but instead of doing that i just downloaded cygwin and got the RPM from the Insecrue site and use the *nix suite that way.

WS_PingProPack is the fastest pinger ive ever but it's other features arnt as reliable.

I prefer SuperScan

i perfer NScan because it has so many features and fast and reliable.