Tripple-boot OS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripple-boot OS

Tripple-boot OS

I was wondering, how would I install a tripple-boot OS? I would like Linux(I would like to know what version would be best for me), FreeBSD, and Windows 2000Pro(for photoshop, flash, etc.)
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

If you have 0 knowledge on Linux and BSD then start preparing for a long night, best thing to do is to start small, get SuSE Linux, install it on a seccond harddrive or add a partition to your excisting windows box, a 2nd harddisk is better but it's up to you what you want to spend on your system.

hi

make sure to install windows first, otherwise it may wipe the other OS's.
    repartition the drive, using either FIPS (which may have problems with large disks) or a commercial tool like Partition Magic.
    install the other OS's.
    as for linux, although i am a redhat user, i would recommend for you to try the most common ones (redhat, mandrake, slackware, debian, etc. etc.) and stick to the one you feel most comfortable with in the end. mandrake did have the reputation in the past for the easiest to learn, but i don't really know which distro holds that title now.

good luck.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

U'll need to install Windows first! what ever your configuration is in your box. in the respective partition or HD. If you are O in linux, I tried only once with SUSE Linux but what I really prefer is Red Hat or Mandrake, if your check some of the post I think from yesterday or the day befoere some point a lot of URL where you can start... what is related with Linux.
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

Thanks alot. How would I install the OS on a partitioned drive?
    Augh, I should of put this is the question section.
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

if you have set the partitions, the linux (prob the bsd ones too) install will ask you where you want them. the partitions will be partitioned even further by the install using a tool (redhat uses fdisk or disk druid) for the dirs like /, /home, /var, /boot, /usr, swap, etc.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

I was wondering, how would I install a tripple-boot OS? I would like Linux(I would like to know what version would be best for me), FreeBSD, and Windows 2000Pro(for photoshop, flash, etc.)
    Read this. It's one of the best guides to multibooting different OS's (Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD). It covers triple-booting and many-booting too. The only down side is that it doesn't really mention Windows.

PS: You have to install Windows first otherwise it will eat any paritions and OS's you've already set up.

PPS: Use GRUB not LILO because GRUB will boot anything and you can use encrypted passwords with GRUB. All hail GRUB!
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Just to make sure:
    I install Windows 2k Pro
    Then I partition my drives
    And install the OS I want on the partitions.
    Is that correct?
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I would partion the drives, then install Win2k, then install the other OS's. Probably linux last, since it does have Grub which you want as a boot loader, like smirc said. Although you could also purchase something like system commander which is a multiboot loader. I had a machine a while back that ran Win95, NT4 server, Redhat, FreeBSD, and Solaris for Intel. The worst part about system commander is that if something goes wrong, your really messed up (trust me, I found out the hard way).
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Okay, thanks alot for your help! I'll let you know how it goes. Where can I get a copy of FreeBSD?
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]