A windows bug

Thread: A windows bug

Banned

Exclamation A windows bug

I am currently running windows XP home edition, and i have a multimedia keyboard. it works fine untili start up in safe mode. in safe mode windows works as it should until keypress. when this happens the whole machine freezes.

Is there a patch to fix it.

Safe mode probably doesn't load all the drivers necessary to run all the functions of your multimedia keyboard, so generic drivers are probably loaded.

When you say 'keypress', are you talking about pressing the multimedia keys or just the normal keys (by normal, I mean letters, numbers, <enter>, etc...)?

If you are pressing just the normal keys, I don't know why it's happening, it really shouldn't. I also have a multimedia keyboard (logitec) and run Windows XP Pro, but when I start in safe mode, the keyboard works fine.

(Note: I have not got the logitec drivers for the keyboard loaded, just have a generic WinXP driver)

You should use Safe Mode when there is a problem with your PC. When you fix the problem, you should go back to normal windows start-up. If you got a simply keyboard lying around the house, plug that in, fix any problems you have in Safe Mode, then go back to your multimedia keyboard with normal windows boot-up.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

well change the driver for a start, try their website or look for a third party driver specifically for XP, XP will have a whinge about it not being certified but ive had trouble with the XP driver for my voodoo 3, i got a 3rd party driver and that fixed everything

Also. If it's a USB keyboard you have to have USB Legacy enabled in the BIOS setup or the k/b won't work under certain circumstances like running DOS, NTFS DOS, and even safe mode at times. Because the basic keyboard charachters and functions are a legacy device it should run just from the BIOS supplied instruction set. Except for some USB boards. SO if you have to go get a $10 basic keyboard for emergencies. I always keep a couple of PS2 and old AT keyboards laying around.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Banned
    yes its just the normal keys, and i had to use a normal keyboard when in safe mode. i knew safe mode doesnt load all the drivers but it still should work normally.

Trying to FORMAT a computer using a USB keyboard sux..

Keep a cheap keyboard handy always