Pick a distro

Thread: Pick a distro

Pick a distro

Hello, it has been ages since I have last posted. Ok, here is my question. I just picked up a new computer and I am going to install a drive with Linux on it but I want to try something new. I want to try a Linux distro that is command line based only. I have Mandrake 7.2 and 8 and they are fine but it seems like a lot of filler to me. My main reason for wanting this is so that I can learn command line. I would like to find a small powerful distro. If this turns up no luck, should I go with RedHat? Ok, thats all. Peace
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Get any distro you like, SuSE/Mandrake/Slack, and dont install x windows, then you're forced to use and learn console mode.

Banned
    asking that question is likely to cause a war of astranomical proportians its like asking whats your favourie movie every one will have a different preference the best idea is to get as many as you can ie redhat suse mdk and try them all and then you will find the one thats best suited for you
    RiOtEr

If you use SuSE 7.x (Im not sure with 8.0) and boot from CD write "manual" and press enter in lilo during boot.

Now you have a "non gui" setup and can choose a few more install options.. Choose minimal install and you have something good to start with . Im almost sure all the other dists have the same kind of option to minimalize your install.

You want something command line based? OpenBSD is surely the next step... only because setting up XFree86 is a pain in the arse (call it "a feature"). In any case, if you have reasonably mainstream architecture (ie. something a good number of people have at least heard of) then you are probably set... need something with a bit better driver support, then FreeBSD. But it you're ready to break away from the GUI, I'd say break away from Linux as well - at least it's a good addition to your resume.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Thank you everyone for the help. I will look into FreeBSD, in the meantime I will install linux minus the X Windows. Thanks again. Peace.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

You can always change to runlevel 3, and still have x if u need it, like to edit or veiw webpages (lynx isnt everything)