Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diablo 2 Kills 17 Year Old *Article*

Diablo 2 Kills 17 Year Old *Article*

Killer game?

May 30, 2002

HE often stayed back after work to play computer games.

So when colleagues found Lai Pui-sun bent over the table at 8am after his work shift at a cyber cafe in Hongkong yesterday, they thought he had fallen asleep and did not disturb him.

But it was a slumber that the 17-year-old computer game enthusiast was never going to wake up from again.

The teen died after apparently playing an online game for hours in the cyber cafe where he had worked for about two months, reported South China Morning Post.

Lai started the role-playing game Diablo II between 3 and 4am, said a staff member.

Another colleague said they often played games or slept during overnight shifts when there were no customers.

Lai, who reportedly was in good health and did not have a drug habit, fell to the ground when a colleague tried to wake him at about 9.30am.

He had already lost consciousness when the ambulance arrived and was declared dead at the hospital.

Lai, who left school after completing Sec 4, lived with his parents and two triplet brothers.

Dr Choi Kin, president of the Practising Estate Doctors Association, said the flashing light from the computer screen might have caused Lai's sudden death.

He said a long-term concentration of flashing light was dangerous, adding that computer game enthusiasts should let their eyes rest for a few minutes every hour.

In a similar case in Thailand last August, factory worker Thanet Sommoi, 22, died of a stroke after a marathon all-night session of online games at a cyber cafe in Chiangmai.

Source
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Darwin was right...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Whoa...it makes you wonder about the people at full on lan parties like valhala or that other one...forgot what it's called..the one in europe
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

AntiOnline Newbie
    Wait - I thought heavy metal music killed teenagers... ;-)

You think if the game caused epileptic seizures, they'd take it of the market. I say he found out a secret that Blizzard didn't want anyone to know about, and was promptly executed through a cyber-assassin.

Ok, so I suck at conspiracy theories. But it doesn't sound right. Maybe that's just me. There were probably mitigating circumstances.
    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn\'t die in vain. He died in Washington D.C.

i played diablo much longer then 5 hours straight for days before and i never had a prob... sept the occ ISP kicking me offline lol
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Originally posted here by Specter6
    Wait - I thought heavy metal music killed teenagers... ;-)
    *nods head* Me too. I guess I was wrong. But game killers, thats just creepy.
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

Banned
    Wow, I remember when I was back in highschool, and we were such losers that the second week of summer vacation we would deticate to all nigh LANing from 6pm to 11am every day. I don't think anyone there had a problem, except for no social life. To make it more pathetic, the two weeks before school resumed we would plan a week of 24 hour dungeons & dragons, with a little bit of Magic The Gathering on the side. So what do I do know, I try to make time for my Warlord's Battlecry II.......

Just a word of advice... Do NOT Use www.traininghott.com For Your Educational Needs. The Hands-On Technology Transfer Group Is A Poor Excuse For Training. They Cancel 75% of Their Classes. Trust Me, It's Not Worth Your Money. I like the Computer Security Institute 4 Stars all they way.......

*runs over to his computer to check the refresh rate of his monitor*

Yup, it's running at 120 Hz.

*wipes the sweat from his brow*

Now that was a close one.

Sad.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I'm sure he was happy.