X Font Service Port 7100

Thread: X Font Service Port 7100

X Font Service Port 7100

I ran a port scan on my network's primary server and saw that port 7100 (X Font Service) was open. I am not familiar with "X windows" and am wondering if there exist a possible security threat. The scan was run on the inside of NAT and I am not sure yet if the port is visible from the outside. Could XFS be related to the web server admin tool? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

More info

not sure of all the details but a search on google resulted in this
    results
    Integrity...loyalty.....and the willingness to make a better world for us all.

str34m3r
    XFS is required to run XWindows, but it shouldn't be open to external interfaces. What kind of protscan did you do in order to determine the port was open?

There is nothing unusual that you found this port open. X opens ports for both its XFS (7100-7101) and for its X11 server(6000 -6009). The security risk is low but it still exists so you should configure a firewall on your box or don't run X of course
    Any way - take a look at the following links : They provide some good info on that topic:
    1. http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Security-Q.../appendix.html
    2.http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTu...tSecurity.html
    And you can find many many more on the NET.

P.S.It will be better for you if you post *nix related topics in the *nix forum

str34m3r: I'm using superscan. I don't have XWindows running anywhere on the network. Is there anything else that uses XFS?

Thanks for the links seeker_319, sw2v.