res://c:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: res://c:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

res://c:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

The message on the subject line is the error I and many of my co-workers encounter when we try and access the internet. Now, it doesn't happen to everyone at the same time, and seems to jump from PC to PC. We are on a DSL and have DHCP and firewall. I wanted to know what the cause of this error would be? Also, what would be a fix to this issue? So far, the only known fix is to sit and wait and as mysteriously as it occurs, days later it stops occurring.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

It's saying that it can't find the IP equivalent of the address you typed in. Hence the DNS error.htm

Check your firewall logs, your DNS configuration, and your utilization of your DSL for starters.

If that's too deep for you, call your DSL provider.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

yeah i had this problem once on a windows 98 computer using IE, solution:
    Switch to Netscape.
    Oh and if it still is screwed up then re-install firewall.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I get the same message when I start up IE and hit the stop button before the initial page is loaded. As Korp said, it means you are having a problem looking it up in the DNS for somereason. Could be something as simple as a couple of packet errors whcih you cant to anything about, to a serious problem with your DNS server.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

often this will fix if it's a random problem...only in 2k (xp and nt probably)

ipconfig /flushdns
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Originally posted here by zigar
    often this will fix if it's a random problem...only in 2k (xp and nt probably)

ipconfig /flushdns
    I attempted this and it did not work on the Windows2k PC. I want to assume that it could be, but i hope not, a problem with the DNS server. Any other suggestions.

ok, first post here... Just trying to add to the possiblities, if my thinking is wrong flame away I don't claim to be an expert...

I have a couple theories... Do you use a hub or a switch to connect your computers to your dsl router (or firewall depending on how you physically set it up)? How many computers do you have networked? The reason I ask is you may be experiencing collisions on your network this will keep a lot of things from getting through. A switch will stop collisions a hub will not. Sometimes on my network this happens, but just restarting the firewall seems to clear things up. Hope it helps...

Greg

Re: res://c:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

Originally posted here by demarco1125
    The message on the subject line is the error I and many of my co-workers encounter when we try and access the internet. Now, it doesn't happen to everyone at the same time, and seems to jump from PC to PC. We are on a DSL and have DHCP and firewall. I wanted to know what the cause of this error would be? Also, what would be a fix to this issue? So far, the only known fix is to sit and wait and as mysteriously as it occurs, days later it stops occurring.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

--have a "partial solution" this appears to me to be a problem involving "Internet Explorer" displaying a link "in a new frame" as opposed to just loading over the existing page...

I developed this problem recently and reloading IE6 and Win98 failed to resolve it...however...

when the new frame attempts to open ...and stalls...DO THIS:

1. CLICK ON THE "STOP" button to terminate the activity...then

2. HIT THE "RELOAD" button ...AND "BINGO" the frame/url you expected to come up WILL COME UP!

...this isn't exactly a "clean solution" but it does "get the job done"...if I uncover the "real solution"...I'll post here...

FLASHROB

PS. I KNOW IS AN "IE" PROB...because I use "Opera 6" browser also...and it works fine in opening a link in a new window frame.

*** SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM: shdoclc.dll is apparently a "blank page" default when the "open url/link/frame in NEW WINDOW" fails to work...

what causes the problem: new software that alters your "oleaut32.dll" file....this is a win system file...has to do with opening linked files, etc...

I got this solution from: http://forums.32bit.com/showthread.php?threadid=14390 (scrolling down to the bottom of that page...wanted to give credit to the guy that solved this...anyway...

the solution:

1. hit your "Start buttom"...go to Help...type in "corrupted" ...(all your doing so far is to access the Windows Help guide)

2. a box will open up leading you to the procedure from restoring a "corrupt Windows" file of your "system CD" which you have in your CDrom drive.

3. basically you are typing in "oleaut32.dll" in the "restore a single file from your installion disk"

4. this will find the "oleaut32.dll" file on your system installation cd...and automatically overwrite it on the corrupted version on C:\windows\system ...

5. after you restart your computer ...the "open url/link/frame in "new window" will now work when using Internet Explorer!

Summary:

what causes the problem: software that when loaded inadvertantly corrupts your "oleaut32.dll" file (which resides in "C:\windows\system")

in my case the only two pieces of software I loaded recently which could have caused this problem were the "personal firewall program" ZoneAlarm and a "pop up stopping program"
    PopUpStopper...

you can manually replace the corrupted version of "oleaut32.dll" in MSDOS...but I find it easier to use Windows automated system for replacing "corrupted files" that I outlined above....

by the way...prior to this I did reinstall Win98...but that didn't help....I suspect that the reinstallion of Win98 did not "overwrite the corrupted version of "oleaut32.dll" because a "newer - but corrupted version - of that file was on my hard-drive...and the reinstallion of the OS (operating system) did not give me the option of replacing/overwriting it with the "older original version of "oleaut32.dll" off my installation disk...

to make it simple...one way or another.... just get "oleaut32.dll" off your installation disk and overwrite it to C:\windows\system (or whatever location your "windows system" files are...

FLASHROB