Thread: Linux for PPC

The Iceman Cometh

Linux for PPC

I have a question regarding Linux for PPC. I have search endlessly and have found very little information. I found a great deal of sites linking to www.linuxppc.org, but the site either no longer exists, or their server is down. I'm currently in the process of reorganizing my home office and came upon an old Apple Macintosh Performa 550 I had lying in my closet. It has MacOS 7.5 installed and still runs fine. I would love to actually get some use out of it by installing Linux on it, but have been unable to find a distribution which supports this model Motorola processor. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've never really been a fan of MacOS (though OS X is kinda nice), and I already have a Linux/Win2K network, and would be extremely happy with another addition to that network .

AJ

Banned
    gee somehow i feel resposible for this thread........... um i know that SuSE linux suports PPC arcitecture, but i dont know about that processor spacificly, if its PPC then it should owrk with any PPC distro....... i supose....

The Iceman Cometh
    Well, I saw your post literally 10 minutes after I started going through my old computers/parts in my closet, and it piqued my curiosity. I spend time checking out SuSE, but could not find anything regarding specific model/hardware requirements for SuSE Linux for PPC.

AJ

Also try Yellow Dog linux at

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com

Good Luck,

IchNiSan

Banned
    well i by no means have extensive knowledge about Macs or PPC, im prety sure you can figure out if your processor is PPC or not. if it is then all you need is a distro that is compiled for PPC. the compilation is processor spacific so that it know HOW to talk to the processor in the final completly compiled program. but again i say, i am not an expert on macs (never owned one, never will) much less intalling linux on them, but what have you got to loose? buy a cheep copy of SuSE or get another decent Distro in PPC format and backup any data you may still want (considering that you find the box in a storage closet i think thats already been done) and go for it. i know SuSE is getting to be idiot proof to install so thats another plus to it.

luck