Thread: iptables and Mandrake 8.2...PROBLEMS

iptables and Mandrake 8.2...PROBLEMS

Here's the problem...

I downloaded the release of Mandrake 8.2 and when installed, I attemted to configure iptables. I can't even list the rules in the default chains (INPUT, FORWAD, OUTPUT) - it just spits out errors at me. example:

[root@localhost root]# iptables -L FORWARD
    /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o.gz: init_module: Device or resource busy
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
    modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-6mdk/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o.gz failed
    modprobe: insmod ip_tables failed
    iptables v1.2.5: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
    Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Has anyone esle had this kind of problem with Mandrake 8.2 and if so, what was the fix. Or....any help at all would be great. Thanks a ton.

-the eeshman

I might not be much help (with my noobie linux knowledge) but I noticed no one else has replyed either...

In a few of the latest release kernels packet forwarding is disabled by default. If this is the case then you'll get all kinds of packet forwarding errors. You can easily rectify this by typing (as root)....

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

If that line helps you out you should paste into a boot up script. I could be way off though....I also suggest you pm linuxcommando as that guy seems to have his linux **** together....

I'm not an expert in iptables (I used to use earlier ones like ipchains and the original ip filter in 1.3 kernel), but I'd guess that the reason it's not working is that Mandrake has already been messing with it.

My Mandrake 8.2 has no iptables binary at all, but the kernel module you're having problems with loads no problem.

Perhaps you should try turning off any daemons etc, which Mandrake has running - it takes over pretty much everything and does things its own way generally (I mostly don't mind this any more )

Does dmesg or /var/log/messages produce any informative messages when you do that command?