Thread: Advance Directory and NT4.0

Lightbulb Advance Directory and NT4.0

Two part question
    1. Is it possible to AD , user and group mngr, on a Win NT 4.0 system.

2. If it is possible, what type of security issuse with the mix of OS

I personaly think its plane stupid , it like buying a corvette and onlydriving 10 mph, but the co I work for wants to pinch pennies.

The Iceman Cometh
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for in the first question... could you rephrase it? Possibly giving more information regarding what you're currently running?

AJ

win 2k runs active directory, and when you install the admin pack on the workstation ,win 2k, you can administer the AD. The cheep people at my work do not want to spend the cash to upgrade all the workstations to win 2k. What thay want to do is run the Active Directory snap-in on a NT 4.0 workstation. I have done bucu research but nothing worth while has come up to make it work. I got the MMC running but it will only pickup on the local account info not the AD info.

I don't think it's going to work. Under win2k local accounts work the same as NT4, but AD is totally different. AFAIK, this functionality is not available on NT4, although it is possible to join an NT4 workstation into a Win2k domain (and vice versa)

As far as being a domain controller is concerned, if you want to use AD, your DCs must all be Win2k AFAIK. You can use an NT4 domain, and still use win2k machines as primary/backup, but then you lose out on the features of AD, such as hierarchical tree/forests (not useful for most small places), some security features like bits of policies, and some Win2k features such as DFS which rely on AD.

So you will need at least 2x Win2k boxes as DCs even if all the others are NT4

As a bonus though, there are some useful features of Win2k which make it much more suitable as a DC than NT4, like replacing WINS with DNS which is generally a Good Thing (tm) - as WINS sucks badly.

It will work, but you need to make sure you install Active Directory connector. There isn't full support for the Win2k features, but you can certainly secure a mixed environment. I mean what are people with existing servers with NT4 on them going to do during migration, take them all down until everyone is Win2k, I mean come on!
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

Originally posted here by Wizeman
    It will work, but you need to make sure you install Active Directory connector. There isn't full support for the Win2k features, but you can certainly secure a mixed environment. I mean what are people with existing servers with NT4 on them going to do during migration, take them all down until everyone is Win2k, I mean come on!

Actually this is incorrect. Active directory connector is so that you can replicate AD information between AD and the Exchange5.5 directory. It has nothing to do with what workstation you are running.

But to answer the original question. You can completely and totally administer Windows2k components from an NT4.0 workstation. Just make sure you install the proper resource kit. I also install the terminal service client on my 4.0 machines so that if for any reason I have an issue from an NT4.0 box, I can just open up a session on the Win2k server itself. Win2k server allows for 2 terminal service sessions without buying any other licenses.

If you are really opening "active directory users and computers", it will not for any reason show the local account info as this information is not in AD.

mohaughn you stated that if you get the correct Admin pack it could be done. I canot find any compatible software to do it. I tried the option pack for 4.0's server and workstation. The admin pack from 2k , both pro and server. I even tried the admin pack for XP . Still a no go

could kick me in the right direction. Ive searched MS google ect.... still none to aval

Originally posted here by binary0boy
    mohaughn you stated that if you get the correct Admin pack it could be done. I canot find any compatible software to do it. I tried the option pack for 4.0's server and workstation. The admin pack from 2k , both pro and server. I even tried the admin pack for XP . Still a no go

could kick me in the right direction. Ive searched MS google ect.... still none to aval
    I'll have to apologize. I did some checking and there is actually no MMC plugin for NT4.0 to admin AD. Again, my apologies. When my company started converting our exchange environment to E2K I stayed on NT4.0. The way I was able to manage it was to install the Term service client on my NT4.0 workstation, and then I could just go to any W2K machine to do AD changes. For some reason I was relatively certain that I had an AD MMC plugin for NT4.0.

the install package for Term server client is in \winnt\system32\clients\tsclient\win32

Go under disk1 and run the setup. You should also make sure to properly configure the server using TS Configurator. You can find that in admin tools on a W2K server.

Hay thanks for the info. Like I tod the cheep sucker just upgrade the service desk computers to 2k and it will save tons of headaches