Norton Firewall, 100% safe?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Firewall, 100% safe?

Norton Firewall, 100% safe?

I've got Norton Firewall installed (the one with Systemworks) I was just wondering, does this completely protect my IP address from hackers, or people using Sub 7? This may all sound stupid but I;d like to know.

Prankster
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

If you don't think it does,...why did you even purchase Norton in the first place, mate?
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

na if u enable the server to acces the internet it can be run, but u have to have ran the server, and ur AV should pick it up.
    firewalls will deter some minor hackers, but our system can be comprimised in ohter ways liek activex scripts, incoming mail, etc etc

preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

I just assumed it would work, until I came here and realized there were other methods of hacking, thanks anyway guys.
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

Just to let you know - if a determined and skilled hacker truely wanted to get into your computer. There really is nothing you can do about it. But having [multiple] firewalls, proxies, and other useful "stuff" helps with the kiddies trying to Sub7 you and such.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Nothing is completely safe. But I heard its good.
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

Norton is nototrious for crashing in the 'open' state. Just to let you know. In many of my tests it was not difficult by use of scripts to get Norton to halt and let me in........

edit - Oh yeah and the 'liveupdate' feature has been exploited at least 6 times that I know of.

good luck!
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

As other people have pointed out, running a firewall is only part of the solution.
    Assuming the firewall is active (i.e. it has not crashed or been shut down), you will detect things like sub7 - the problem being if the firewall has shut down without you noticing.
    Having an anti virus scanner is a good idea, as it will detect things like sub7 before they get installed on your PC.
    You can also add an extra degree of protection by being careful about which email attachments you open, and by setting your browser options appropriately - e.g. prompt for all ActiveX controls etc.
    I'm not convinced that running multiple firewalls is a good idea, as they often conflict with other, which in some cases can make your PC easier to hack!

You might want to consider running a Linsys router and a software firewall. Here's the link to the site www.linksys.com. But you can get them other places also. Try Radio Shack. Should be $100.00 bucks or cheaper.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

it wont hide your IP address tho.. just lets u know what is trying to go in and out of your box..