blackcode blocked by isp

Thread: blackcode blocked by isp

blackcode blocked by isp

in an emial blackcode states:
    ---------------------------------

Hostcentric, was the company where BlackCode's main server was colocated. 2 days ago, we found that our IPs were blocked without any reason. After some calls, we found out that the decision had been made from the abuse department, as a direct order from hostcentric's vice-president.
    The reason given was that they decided not to allow us to show ANY information or clues on how to hack a web server. Even announcing a new vulnerability was considered out of his privated "AUP" (Acceptable Usage Policy). Obviously, this is not stated in the AUP, but you can't do anything to avoid it.
    -----------------------------------
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thumbs up

Great new "security" strategy.
    Cut yourself off from 90% of the
    world, and you'll be less likely
    to be hacked.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Well, thats just plain ol' dumb. You won't be able to do much on the internet.
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

sorry, i guess i should have posted more. thet were forced (so they say) to move to another isp beause hostcentric says, out of the clear blue, what their site is about is against hostcentrics policy.

they were at hostcentric for quite a while.

i just wanted to see if anyone could add anything to this. i just don't like information to come from only one source.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Well, first of all, they're a provider running IIS and, I'd guess, a much bigger winblowz network... so they're probably frightening that someone on their backbone would actually be posting a "what to hack" sort of database or whatever -- kind of like they took it personally.

Second, here's their AUP. While "hacking" or security sites aren't expressly against their AUP, it would appear they've left themselves prety wide open to "at its sole discretion, remove them from the network."

You have to think, though... if someone's been at an ISP for a given length of time and has kept up their end of the bargain - removing them from the network has to be pretty tough... I mean, wouldn't you normally try to contact someone, first, before just yanking their connection on them? I mean, chances are, you've pretty much lost a customer the second you turn off their IP feed... you'd have to be pretty convinced - and, in my experience, that's not generally something that's done lightly, particularly for continuing customers.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

I got that mail too few days back. There not some IIS running provider or anything, let me explain to you what exactly goes on at huge ISP's, like for example Thus PLC's Demon Internet.
    Everything technically that is decided to keep all systems going is the abuse department.
    Just like Alldas Blackcode has to find a new provider for some stupid reason given by the ISP.
    As soon as abuse starts to get threats from users they laugh about it, as soon as it's huge corporations or lawyers then they start shitting their pants, look at what happened to Packetstorm after JP started complaining to Harvard, perhaps something similar happened or even worse maybe they got a lot of DDOS attack, who knows, ISP's don't make such information public, only thing they mention on their status page is some bs story like " we seem to be experiencing some network problems with our webservers, our technicians are looking into it right away"

Thumbs up

I bet there will be some interesting lawsuits over this sort
    of thing in the next few years. There are a lot of issues on
    many levels.

On the one hand, there's the contract between the provider
    and the sites hosted there. The people who own the servers
    might like to think that, because they own the equipment,
    they can arbitrarily refuse to do business with anyone for any reason.

But if you think of internet service as a public utility (which it is)
    then the government may have to arbitrate lots of claims
    from people who claim they have a right to have their site
    on the internet, just like cable tv companies have to carry
    local access channels

Compare it to phone service. The phone co. can't yank out your
    phone just because they object to what you say on the line.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Thumbs up

Good old Balckcode.com I have not been there in a year or two. I even bought there cd to show my support for there site. Im such a nice guy...

TwIsT3D

Originally posted here by rcgreen
    I bet there will be some interesting lawsuits over this sort
    of thing in the next few years. There are a lot of issues on
    many levels.

On the one hand, there's the contract between the provider
    and the sites hosted there. The people who own the servers
    might like to think that, because they own the equipment,
    they can arbitrarily refuse to do business with anyone for any reason.

But if you think of internet service as a public utility (which it is)
    then the government may have to arbitrate lots of claims
    from people who claim they have a right to have their site
    on the internet, just like cable tv companies have to carry
    local access channels

Compare it to phone service. The phone co. can't yank out your
    phone just because they object to what you say on the line.
    I happen to know for a fact that the lawyers are ready to rock and roll