Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux in REAL trouble?!?!

Linux in REAL trouble?!?!

The advantage of the Macintosh approach is that while it runs Unix underneath, MacOS X provides a very elegant user interface, suitable for beginning computer users. Add the power and flexibility of Unix to the Macintosh user experience and you have a powerful combination, one that could spell trouble for Linux.

that is just a small excert of an article on the power and convenience of the two powers, man and unix as one... question? what does this mean for linux?

full article : http://www.computeruser.com/articles...1,0501,02.html

-xposed

Linux(Unix) will forever have a popular following...being an elitist one(sometimes), but I succumb to it, also....simply because it's so much FUN to use.

Windows users= Point and Click = 'Hey, this is fun'
    Macintosh users= Point and Click and Type = 'Hey this is fun and exciting'
    Linux users = Point and Click and Type and Open and Close and Swear and Piss and Moan and Upgrade and Read and Type and Bitch and LEARN. Repeat...

After all...the Linux users become increasingly more comfortable with their systems, thus more happy with them. Kind of like learning how to drive a car with a manual transmission...once you get used to it, it becomes fluid.

I would hope that anyone, no matter what OS they use, becomes so 'fluid' with their systems that they can divert any problems and enhance any supremacies in their particular OS, that they can be wisely referred to as an 'expert'.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

As long as Linux continues as open source and follows the GNU. Mac will have no impact on it. Mac and it's various OSX's are headed down the same road as MS if they are not carefull. Look at the old Bell telephone. They were split up and now Sprint has replaced them and is almost in the same shape. So if MS fails, Mac will step up to the plate and here we go again. Mac is going the same way as MS. They are beginning to intragrate everything in their OS just as MS did. As with Linux, thats a different story. You can pick your build, choose your own windows manager if you wish, install what you want and browse with an almost infinite choice of browsers. Some may have dependancies to run. But, basicaly you can choose what you want to run and what you don't. Can you do this with MS or MAC. No. So as long as you are free to choose with Linux. It will always have its own niche. Lets just hope it stays this way.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Linux has one thing going for it that is not threatned by Mac in any way.....It's FREE!!!

i like free. free is good.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

One of my customers once asked a few questions at the suse support, he just bought the Pro version of SuSE 8.0
    When he asked something like how to enable dual monitors using his matrox g450 he got another standard we don't cover that in the 90 day support.
    I replied back to them asking why they're not supporting this on the pro version and if they have been learning a few tricks from Microsoft. This is the kinda crap that will piss of new users for sure.

Well, Linux isn't necessarily for the home, "Where's the Start button?" user. It's for more advanced users in the first place. Plus, Linux has already built up a pretty good customer base and reputation. Not to mention, it's free, it will always live on. And as to the guy that asked how to enable dual monitor support, if he was smart enough to know that two monitors can be used, he'll eventually get the solution.

Originally posted here by Valor
    Well, Linux isn't necessarily for the home, "Where's the Start button?" user. It's for more advanced users in the first place. Plus, Linux has already built up a pretty good customer base and reputation. Not to mention, it's free, it will always live on. And as to the guy that asked how to enable dual monitor support, if he was smart enough to know that two monitors can be used, he'll eventually get the solution.
    Yeah, but SuSE is specifically targeted at the home user as well, if you enter a pc store in europe you'll find SuSE and RedHat, besides SuSE should answer the question instead shipping off the person with a stupid answer.

I would theorize that Mac OS X will actually help Linux. If you’re a mac user and your already using a UNIX based operating system why not try one of the free ones.

My view is that OS X is to Linux as windows 98 is to 2000.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Mac... hardware... buying your own parts... making your own machine... hmm. Not quite as good as ye olde intel :P

Personally I place Intel/PC clones first in the hardware arena, and Linux and Windows battle it out on that platform. Windows, because you want to play games or exchange microsoft office files. (OpenOffice/Koffice/Staroffice are not exactly perfect at the Microsoft closed-mouth-file-format game.)

I know this sounds pretty much like a sellout to technologists everywhere, but I'm going to wait for Linux to mature a bit more for the user who doesn't want to have to check fifteen different message boards and rebuild his kernel eight times to fix a sound issue

Until then, it's just for occasional tinkering.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency