Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System reboot

Unhappy System reboot

Hey fellow antionline members.I have zone alarm,norton personal firewall and norton anti-virus 2002 installed.When I installed Finjans surfin guard( http://www.finjan.com ) my system kept re-booting everytime i logged into windows,this has happened before with Outpost personal firewall.Outpost personal firewall told me that this could happen so I was aware that it could happen.Why can installing to many firewalls/security products cause the system to keep re-booting?.Security is a must for me so I like to have lots of firewalls running when im online.Would it be better to have just say.........,Norton boot with windows then enable all my other firewalls when windows has fully loaded or will my system still re-boot anyway because those firewalls are installed?.Please help.
    If l0vε aint å g4mε,thεn h0w c0mε thεrε arε §0 m4ny p|4yεr$?

There are certain program that want certain memory space and if something else is ocupying that memeory space you get problems. Without goin into too much detail, it means; stop trying to run all of those services simultaneously. Windows can't hack it.

If you are that concerned then might I suggest using a gateway box with ipchains or some linux/BSD firewall. That way you have a real firewalln in fron tof your windows firewall. So much better than trying to run multiple firewalls on one box.

Hope I haven't bored you.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Why not stop being paranoid and perhaps just load one firewall and virus scanning.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Banned
    I'd stick with what louie said and just have one firewall and a virus scanner. Having more doesnt nessecarily protect you. (Can't Spell right now) Having more then one actully doesn't help you and remember- every firewall is a service. The more firewalls you have, the more services people can exploit.

I agree with Louie. Just install one firewall and one anti virus. it will be enough. If you want to have more security. Just buy firewall built-in router plus install one firewall and one anti virus on your pc

Computer Forensics
    perhaps you have too many damn firewalls loaded.....there is only so much memory space......
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Have you ever considered using a couple of NICs to set up a hardware-type firewall? A friend of mine in Tennessee has his system set up this way. And like others suggested, you could then run one good firewall with your AV and be as safe as possible without putting unneeded strain on your OS and memory. Just a thought . . .
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I've often wondered one thing about having multiple personal firewalls installed...
    Which firewall gets the packets first?
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Most firewalls come with a warning to not have other firewalls installed. This can cause a loss of protection. Isn't it overkill? Stick with one good firewall and keep your antivirus protection up to date.

what os are you using. If it is win95 or 98 stick with one fw. If it is xp or w2k you can use more than one fw and more than one av.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.