Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPAM Sux

SPAM Sux

One of our clients recived an e-mail that they were hosting unsoliceted bulk e-mail. they said that the originating ip was the ip of the outside of the proxy. Now how the heck do i go about figuring out what workstation it is?

Topo of network
    all win98se workstations
    1 novell 5.0 fileserver
    1 novell bordermanager server (firewall, proxy)
    2500 cisco router on the outside of the firewall

there is no exchange server or groupwise server on the network.

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys/gals
    God save the President and his fascist regime!

Proxy logs. Using POP3, SMTP, what? All should have activity logs and the such. shouldn't be too difficult.

Then again you may have an open-relay on your box. If that's the reason then anyone can use it, which is a bad thing. ORBS won't like you too much.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I think KorpDeath is on the right track. Check how your handling SMTP relaying on your BorderManager Server.

Cheers:
    DjM

Thanks guys!

I like spam... its yummy...
    I like spam burgers...
    spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger spam burger..

Just say it repeatedly... you'll like it too....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

You know where the worst spam comes from? Antionline.org email account. I signed up for it 2 weeks ago and made sure to deselect everything that said I would get junk mail, but within 24 hours I had 38 pieces of junk mail, on an email address that had never got junk mail before. I then went through all this trouble removing myself from all those mailing lists, but the next day i recieved just as much. So I just blocked all the email addresses. Today I only recieved one piece of junk mail, but that still is too much.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

use sam spade from a remote location it has a relay checking feature
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    Has anyone tried McAfee's AntiSpam tool? I know it's quite costly, but is it worth it?

We have installed SpamAssassin on our mail server and allow our customers to turn it on if they want to. I use it and man has it worked. Dropped my spam from about 50-100/day to 1 or 2 that get through.

Banned
    SpamAssasin - http://spamassassin.taint.org/

I heard of it. You may want to provide some more information on it, for others. I know I would like to hear about your experiences.