Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Source Code to Commercial Game...

Banned
    yeah the doom code is around somewhere hehe and also rtcw code is around as well i saw it on some web page somewhere so im sure you can find it
    but i think they relese the source so that modders find their life 100X easiser
    RiOTEr
    http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/files/files.shtml
    i found it after a bit of searching

Thats neat. Never thought many big companies would show a source.
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

It has it's drawbacks. Apparently it allows people to create cheats and stuff more easily. But the benefits are great. Releasingthe game open source can really keep a game community alive! aka as quake

Something that might interest some of you: http://tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/index.html -- Eric S. Raymond has a few essays on open source there, including one called "The Case of the Quake Cheats".

Yeah I download the Castle Wolfenstein source code, well, started downloading it. Then I realised that I just wasn't arsed...

Banned
    jethro: gotta be a Big source code...

The Lith company already got back to me...

They said the sites are under maintenance and gave me an ftp link
    ftp://ftp.lith.com/pub/blood2/

It is true that the open-source makes it easier on others to make mods and so, but it also gives the lesser public a chance to understand (I guess...)

as sombody said before, the problem is that anybody and their mother can easily make cheats for it now...but its still damn cool of them to do that...lets people see the inner workings and maybe get started learning how to make their own games :-D
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

isn't giving away the source, the same as giving away the game? that can't be Profitable....
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Noia: companys tend to only release source long after they are going to be getting any sales revinues.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Not necessarily. It depends on a few things like whether the game is still selling and what you need to compile the source. Also, what lisence they release it under is pretty important.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com