Thread: Duplicate IP??????

Question Duplicate IP??????

Hi All,
    I have been having alot of flags with the same Ip but different one or two numbers...which is no big deal at all. What made me wonder I had a flag that said that the intruder had the same IP as me. This was right in the sring of the other flags that all say cogeco. Now from all I can figure this person lives in the same region as me. Actually the same server.....Now ...the question...If this person has managed to use my Ip does that mean anything serious...Like can they enter my system and so on.....And how do I take extra precautions????

Any help would be appreciated!!!!
    [glowpurple]The Nutta [/glowpurple]

Banned
    It would be the same as anything else, there's no higher potential to intrusion

However, the same IP could either mean that their masking their IP and coincidently used yours (or sniffed you out and placed it to confuse you)...
    Or that an echo was sent....

Banned
    Here's a link that could explain about echo attacks
    Port 7

Thanxs Tyger_Claw,
    Who ever it was got in thats the bummer!!!! Theres no strike through it or anything. My cuz was on so I didnt catch it at all. Now this person has been flaging me for weeks! I think it may be whoever put out the trojan i got burned with...>Ever since then this one address keeps popping up with small variations in the ip. When I take it to whois it has no info.....I want to know what i can do??? I bet nadda thing but hey its worth a shot!

Banned
    You're obvioulsy running a firewall, eh?
    If you can, set your firewall to ignore the first three fields of the ip
    (ie: 250,250,250,xxx)

I suggest this because you said that when you ran a "whois" it gave you nothing so no hard in blocking it (shouldn't block any sites or important info transfer)

Other than that...
    Did you scan your 'puter for a trojan? Remove it if there is one....
    Read JP's "How to be a profiler" section on the main page, should give you some info on how to "counter attack" (in a sense)

Hope this helps...

Thanxs again T_C,
    Wow from what I have been reading tonight ...I may have someone reading this as I write it! Now Is there any programs that can kick the bugger out if there is a sniffer in the works? I will check for a trojan but I dont thinks there is one! Everything is running fine. So I am unsure. Who ever it is is very persistant to say the least but since that duplicate flag theres been nothing!!! And It may be that they are near me because of the 24.0000...in the Ip , I know that 24. first is cogeco....in ontario.

Now I am off to "How to be a profiler".... Hopefully I wont tonight

Banned
    Anything is possible but unlikely....
    Being able to access a computer, run the computer's apps and see what the user see's is an IMENSE hack.

It is possible that he's running a logger (key) of sorts, that would be the more possible watch...

The best thing to do is case everything that happens, and if this "a5540l3" does live in your area, report him to the net provider and even the police if have to, hence why to become a profiler (to make a good case)