Lock up Linux

Thread: Lock up Linux

Lock up Linux

Ok here goes. I just purchased a new PC running XP. I am a fan of Linux, I own Mandrake 7.2. I plan to partition the drive and install 7.2 again. I feel as though it is a good starter for me considering that I am still very new to Linux. What my major concern is right now is making the Linux OS secure. I have heard a lot about IP chains, is this a linux firewall? If so, could anyone point me in the direction of how to go about setting it up? I also have some other Linux software that came bundled on the disc that came with Maximum Linux security. My goal is to solely run Linux eventually on this computer. Any help or tuts, would be greatly accepted. Also could anyone show me a list of the command line lists for Linux? Peace.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Here's the list of commands. Not too good on ipchains or any of that, but this should help you a bit. Change it to .doc to make it look right, I had to change the format to upload it on here.

try iptables, which is a more modern firewall. its by the same people that wrote ipchains.

lot of help from this link:
    netfilter.samba.org

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

Originally posted here by secretagent
    try iptables, which is a more modern firewall. its by the same people that wrote ipchains.

lot of help from this link:
    netfilter.samba.org

regards,
    mark.
    Hi,
    If you're using Mandrake 7.2, you might be limited to using ipchains. Make sure the kernel you're using supports iptables before you go to any trouble.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    For all your linux needs..

www.linuxdoc.org