Thread: Linux Iptables 1.2.6aHelp???

Linux Iptables 1.2.6aHelp???

Does anyone have or no a good tutorial on the LINUX iptables, from installing them to adding your rules and how to make a script soo they start up???Maybe an easier one than the ones you get from searching on google...

I ran out and got the new Linux Firewalls 2ndedition book, but only desrcibes the rules and what they do but doesnt really tell you how to get started with IPTABLES...

first a good start is probably the man pages:
    man iptables

another good stuff to read is the ip-tables-howto
    http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/h...les-HOWTO.html
    the only thing that doesn\'t change is everything will always change.

Computer Forensics
    netfilter.samba.org has everything you need.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

http://www.linuixdoc.org has alot of good stuff, as well.

Question HELP PLEEEEEASE!!!

NO LUCK!!! HEY

No one here wanna write a step bye step on iptables. Not a rule by rule just on how to get started with them, Like on how to write scripts for them, so they start up and just to make sure they are workin, i just need a little push. i got the book to see what all the commands do but i dont know where to start..... OH YAH i have the book i Linux 7.2 Bibleand i have Linux Firewalls by

"LINUX FIREWALS" 2nd Edition by "Robert Ziegler"

Well just to let u know; Tell me me if im doin something worng : I went to my cd /etc.rc.d dir., and created a file called rc.firewall.save dir: Now im using "PICO" to save all my rules in this directory now im not sure what do do after this?? What do i save the FILE: Do i need to make this a special sort of file????? Do i need it to start with: !bin/bash/??????

Any help ???? Hey it deals with SECURITY doesnt IT ????????????
    P.S>Anything simplier than what they got at netfilter.samba.org???? ANYTHING??? Just to get started like i said????

Didn't str34m3r post a firewalling with IPTables tutorial only a few weeks ago?
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

str34m3r
    I certainly did. Here's the link:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=228553

Be sure to do 'service iptables save' after you run the script so that the ruleset becomes the default for iptables at startup.

Re: HELP PLEEEEEASE!!!

Originally posted here by Silkk
    NO LUCK!!! HEY
    Well just to let u know; Tell me me if im doin something worng : I went to my cd /etc.rc.d dir., and created a file called rc.firewall.save dir: Now im using "PICO" to save all my rules in this directory now im not sure what do do after this?? What do i save the FILE: Do i need to make this a special sort of file????? Do i need it to start with: !bin/bash/??????
    you need to make it executable, otherwise the OS won't run it.
    $ chmod u+x filename

start it with the following, to let the OS know to use the bash shell.
    #!/bin/bash

you use pico?
    ever used emacs or vi? (don't let me get onto a religious war on those two.. but they are better to use!)

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

Just use one of the editors with a GUI it'll save you a lot of pain. kwrite seems good enough. Anyhoo, a great iptables rule that I learned is this:
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn -j DROP

It'll ignore all syn packets, so incoming CONNECTIONS will be ignored. It's a pretty good security measure for just one line.
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla nĂ¡ engwar.