Thread: Nessus

As you all may know, there is a very nice security scanner out there called Nessus, but it's server "Nessusd" is only available for POSIX machines. Anywas, if anyone wants to port it to Windows, go for it. If you still don't know what Nessus is, this might clear things up:
    The "Nessus" Project aims to provide to the internet community a free, powerful, up-to-date and easy to use remote security scanner.
    A security scanner is a software which will audit remotely a given network and determine whether bad guys (aka 'crackers') may break into it, or misuse it in some way.

Unlike many other security scanners, Nessus does not take anything for granted. That is, it will not consider that a given service is running on a fixed port - that is, if you run your web server on port 1234, Nessus will detect it and test its security. It will not make its security tests regarding the version number of the remote services, but will really attempt to exploit the vulnerability.

Nessus is very fast, reliable and has a modular architecture that allows you to fit it to your needs.
    P.S: I've tried porting it using cygwin, it's no use, I think you'd have to re-write alot of code...

If you would have taken some time to look around, you might notice that nessus is actually discussed fairly regularly here...
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Incidentally, I BELIEVE (that means that I'm not sure, just so phlamers know ) that the name "Nessus" is derived from the writings of Larry Niven. In Ringworld, Niven introduces an unusual character - Nessus, a Pierson's Puppeteer. The Puppeteers are an insanely cautious race - only those they deem mad are even willing to leave the safety of their homeworld. If you haven't readRingworld, I suggest it - but that's just my little tidbit of trivia for the day.

Pierce me with steel, rend me with claw and fang; as I die, a legend is born for another generation to follow.
    An\' it harm none, do as ye will. - Wiccan Rede

I downloaded Nessus for windows and extracted it and tried to execute the program and i got two error messages. But the windows looked all weird like they were just converted from OS/2

Nessus rocks if you have a worthy OS.