Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test your computer forensics-knowledge

Hi mom!

Test your computer forensics-knowledge

Project Honeynet has challenged you to make sence of an, at first sight, meaningless bunch of UDP packets.

The Challenge:
    On the evening of Feb 15th, three different members of the Honeynet Research Alliance received a flurry of strange UDP packets, that at first look seemed to have no apparent purpose. This month's Scan of the Month challenge is to understand the purpose of these packets (...)
    More information can be found here.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Sound's fun.....
    What is UDP?
    lol
    - Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Hi mom!
    Gawd

UDP is a protocol used in the TCP/IP family. TCP uses a three way handshake between clients to ensure each datagram reaches its destination correctly. UDP does not have a simmilar handshake. This results in a less reliable connection, but since there's less overhead it's considerably faster. FTP (File Transfer Protocol) for example, uses TCP. TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol) uses UDP.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Good definition, but I think he was joking when he asked that question...

str34m3r
    Has anyone worked on this much? I've looked at it quite a bit, but I must just be dumb when it comes to UDP. Could anyone give me a pointer in the right direction? I don't want the answer, just a hint if that's possible.

er0k
    yeah im with str34m3r, i cant make much sense of it either.

Lightbulb Here are some hints

[gloworange]I got it! I got it! I got it![/gloworange]

Hints to the others:
    1) UDP is a commonly used protocol for gaming.
    2) Think Gaming Server
    3) Think Unreal (hehehehe)

Life is exciting in the computer world when you read between the lines

CyberNetNinja

Jesus is about Life, Reality and Relationship. Christianity is not a religion!

Well since the actual dates of this passed last month, I'd simply say I'd rely upon the info of those that looked at the logs and I am not in the project but if one takes that info and posts then tosses into that factor building a profile of events in total. This need to boast then the answer to the UDP's lay in the hint.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Re: Here are some hints

Originally posted here by jpisanic
    [gloworange]I got it! I got it! I got it![/gloworange]

Hints to the others:
    1) UDP is a commonly used protocol for gaming.
    2) Think Gaming Server
    3) Think Unreal (hehehehe)

Life is exciting in the computer world when you read between the lines

CyberNetNinja

Jesus is about Life, Reality and Relationship. Christianity is not a religion!

Hum, this has nothing to do with the packets in the challenge... I don't know how you arrived at that conlcusion...

BTW, for those interested, the anwser has been posted on the site...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Thanxs for tha challenge!

Wil C what I come ^ with in my studies.

Follow tha white rabbit!