Thread: Windows 2000 Server AntiVirus Software

Windows 2000 Server AntiVirus Software

Hi everyone... Yesterday I got infected with the plan.vbs worm. That's what I get for showing a friend how to download mp3s and then leaving him unsupervised for a few hours.

Anyways, I got myself Norton AntiVirus 2002 and installed it on my XP work station, and it works like a charm. When I tried to install it onto my Windows 2000 Server, I got the message telling me that it will not work on that operating system.

I search AO, and found another thread on this topic, but there weren't any suggestions about antivirus software to use on Windows 2000 Server.

So, any suggestions on what AV software I should use with Windows 2000 Server? Any experiences with AV software on Win2000 Server to share? Thanks!
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

Etrust EZantivirus
    http://www.antivirus.cai.com/
    works on 98, ME. 2000 pro,server, advserver, NT$ work and server and XP
    Viruses updated almost daily.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

antivirus software

I kind of like these guys.....pandasoftware
    you get fast action on new signatures too 24 hrs
    it works with outlook and exchange
    ive compared it to norton and mcafee aganst a bit over 400 viruses I have coloected and it holds its own and is a little faster in some cases then mcafee.
    Ive had no problems so far
    Integrity...loyalty.....and the willingness to make a better world for us all.

I believe Norton Corporate Edition is supported on Win 2000 server.

Cheers:
    DjM

If you want to run macafee on a server you need the special sever edition. Apparently it cost a bundle to. A few months ago the e-mail system at the collage I’m attending went down. When I asked why it was down they said it got a virus. Turns out the didn’t put any antivirus software on the mail server because it cost too much.

I think this is what they want you to buy.
    http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.c...m?productID=64
    Of course if you’re running 2000 server as a desktop computer you might want to see if you can find a free virus scanner that doesn’t have a server edition.

Here is a page with some info on free virus scanners.
    http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/
    Also says something about pandasoft being linked to Scientology
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Yeah Norton CE will work on Windows 2000 server i also belive that Mircosoft antivirus will work too.

probably not a lot of help but Norton AV 2001 does work on win2k server....
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

I've had a bit of experience with Norton and McAfee software. I'd recommend getting Norton Corporate Edition. It is cheap, and has some excellent management functions when you install CE on the workstations ( I believe it comes with 5 client licenses ). McAfee is indeed expensive.

And one word of warning, NEVER put non-server edition antivirus onto a sever. There was one time back in the day when I put McAfee, I think it was, onto a server and pow, no more booting.

Regards,
    Wizeman
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    bah i dont use antivirus for some reason....i jsut have this wierd little thing that emails me telling my i have been infecteed and it was corrected notron is like big brother for me cuz that have emailed me 2 times telling me they removed the worm or virus
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Banned
    Get Norton Corporate Edition, It works in all server environments