Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AP's in IRC?

AP's in IRC?

How about a possibility to give antipoints to helpful users at the IRC..?
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Well, I suppose it could be done via the Java applet or using the AntiChat bot, but I don't think this would really be feasible to implement. Also, discussions happen too fast on IRC to stop and think about whether to assign antipoints or not.

It's a good and certainly novel idea that I've never heard before, but I doubt if it could be implemented.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Banned
    Hmmm, Its been suggested before... To do this we woucld need a bot that you would have to log into, and people got tired of that after about 10 seconds

wouldnt make sense to do that much to the bot,

antipoints dont make the world go round

Preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

Originally posted here by pwaring
    It's a good and certainly novel idea that I've never heard before, but I doubt if it could be implemented.
    LOL... one oy my bosses used to tell me the same thing when he wanted a particular feature implemented in a piece of code. So, on that token, is that a challegnge to JP? *chuckle*

Doesn't sound like it's too tough, all things conisidered... though it certainly has some further security implications.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    This has been discussed, and at one point was in the process of being implemented. To many people complained about the fact that you had to ident to the bot every time you went on irc. Also, you couldn't change your nic. It could be ok in certain situations, but I could see a lot of misuse if it was implemented. The antipoints were designed for posts on the forums. If they are in irc, you might help one or two people, but on the forums, you can help anyone that looks at the site.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

yeah... i remeber when they tried to start it up a while ago... it didn't go over to well.... people had a problem with typing the ident string command in less then a minute... lol....
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Seeing as AntiChat doesn't accept MSGs (at the moment), the person you were antipointing would know what you were up to, which would suck...

ive heard bad suggestions before... This one is pretty much down there with the rest of them..

Itd take 2 many bots, 2 much time 2 set up, have 2 much abuse, 2 much syncing between the bots and the site, and overall its just a crappy idea considering the forums and IRC have very little in common and people should stop trying to link them together like this

Just my thoughts
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

In a way it is a good idea because some people do IRC more than post (I raise my hand). AntiChat can be synched with the webserver and could update the antipoints when someone is logs into antichat and gives antipoints.

However, there is also a downside. If AntiChat does have a point system implimented and it is open to the public, then that means anyone who can log into the irc server and join the channel can do it. Which means that bots can too. all they need to do it be commanded to do so. I'm sure many of you have heard of botnets and how they flood and such and such. Botnet's can range from 10 to 10,000. Imagine that. But, that can be totally avoided by giving sertain restrictions and limits to AntiChat.
    Viper