Thread: Software Review: AdSubtract

Thumbs up Software Review: AdSubtract

Hey folks... something some might be interested in, here - and I've not seen anything else posted on the site for it (yes - I looked - was posted in alt.hacker about a year ago now).

I was just talking to one of the other engineers here and he showed me a product called AdSubtract. It's basically a local proxy that sits between your browser and the 'net, blocking neat little things from entering your browsing experience... the registered version, as they call it, blocks:

• Ads and Cookies
    • Pop Up Windows
    • Animated GIF images
    • Background music
    • Java and JavaScript
    • Background images
    • Referrers that inform web servers of where you've been

Normally, it's really not like me to advertise or advocate the use of particular software, though this one's caught my attention and, I think this one's kinda pertinent to the discussions here (privacy and the like). Finally someone has taken this per-site configuration crap that should be part of the browser's privacy settings and put them in one easy-to-manage area... certainly makes browsing a bit happier (and the commercial/supported release is like $30; though only $20 if you upgrade within 72 hours (the one message that's so far been sent to my mailbox)).

Just looking at the CNN site, for instance, with and without ads is a world of difference... no more popups, nothing... *grin*

I just installed the SE version... here are the blocks I've accumulated so far (just browsed antionline, CNN, their site and maybe one other... LOL). Yes JP, I'm planning on trying to unblock antionline's ads (hey - tasteful ones don't bug me too much - Yahoo and those other morons with ads that basically take over your browser, well... they can bite me).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

It really is a good piece of software, but, Proxomitron will block all those things for free!

HeHe... I guess I have yet another thing to check out. *grin* Thanks 'K1ll!
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"