Thread: port 135

port 135

Hey i did a portscan of my self with SuperScan and got some distrubing results. Port 135 (epmap) and Port 139 (netbios-ssn) i know with netbios some script kiddie with legion can just start up a fileshareing session but what can a hacker do with port 135 open? epmap isnt a service im familir with is it a subsidary of netbios or something>? thnx

What Windows version are you using?

Do you want to share out any folders or printers for other people?
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

im running win 98 on system in question and no i dont want to share anything.

Generally port 135 is not open under win9x machines. You'd better check what services are you running on your box - and if you don't find nothing unusual - don't worry this port is quite safe as far as there are VERY hard to find exploits for it
    About 139 - if you dont want to share then get rid of "FAPS" - (File And Print Sharing).

Hmm, that's depending on how security conscious you are. "Don't worry this port is quite safe as far as there are VERY hard to find exploits for it" doesn't cut it for me. Is anything really hard to find anymore without google?

That's one more google allusion...