Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VB C++ but where?!

Antionline Herpetologist
    The only problem with VB is that it encourages bad programming practices (not needing to declare variables, etc.). IMHO, it's much easier to go from C++ to VB than vice-versa. I know too many VB programmers who can't even grasp the basics of Java/C/C++ to encourage learning VB as a first language.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

VB is good for beginner programmers that have not done any prior programming. Its kinda good just to get a grip on stuff, but soon you will want to advance to C++. Delphi is also a nice, yet unpopular alternative. IMO, it is more powerful then VB but less powerful then any C based language. Another thing to check out is visual studio .net. It has tons of additions to the existing visual basic versions. VB .net is much more powerful and less buggy. I recently got VS .net and enjoy coding in it. BTW, it has visual C++ and VB so you cant go wrong.

VB is a language for newbies.. you can do a lot with VB specially if you can work with Win32API Calls and Objects. C++ gives you the power and flexibility to program on any platform and in any way you want - in simple words C++ is for the veterans.

Well if you are into vb , you better have wide wallet strings , because the box set usualy costs at least 300-600 dollars.But like everyone said stick with C++, Because C++ has alot more to offer and great functionality.
    -N
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

I'm sure there are many threads on AO regarding programming and where to start. I'm a perpetual newbie, but here's my take...

I started by learning html, followed quickly by dabbling with Javascript. I dismissed Javascript as it didn't feel like *real* programming - it was a lot like html, stuffed into similar tags, etc. Plus, most Javascript tutorials promote the cut-and-paste style of programming (Javascript for Dummies is an example)

I started up with Perl. Perl is cool. Perl is available for Windows environments on

http://activestate.com/Products/Down...?id=ActivePerl

Once you install the necessary bits, you can program in notepad (a lot like programming html) and call the files from the command line. There are ways to compile stand alone programs, once you get your code just right, so they work on a box without Perl installed (perl2exe, http://www.indigostar.com/)

Perl is powerful and can handle text-type problems well. It is also the big cgi script language. This sounds scary, but its not. It just gets chunk of text from the web server, messes with it and spits out some html in return. Some of the tutorials are rather above my head but 'Robert's Perl tutorial' was a REAL good start, here's one mirror:

http://www.sthomas.net/roberts-perl-tutorial.htm

After messing with Perl, I realized that html and Javascript were actually pretty cool. Javascript in particular because you can do a lot of client-side programming (user's computers) that will run on any (modern) browser. I guess that's why it's used a lot. Like to install a trojan on my system. Dang.

Then I realized that batch programming is pretty cool too! If you can get to the C: prompt and can also edit in notepad, you're all set. You can automate routine tasks like open files, start processes, get directory lists and print them to text files with a mouse click.... But I digress.

So where to start? Lots of choices. Thanks, Tedob1 I'll be looking at Dev C++, but don't dismiss Javascript and batch files, and give Perl a shot.

i am a newbie and i find learning vb after qbasic is a good idea...it allows you to use the regular programs for windows and incorporate internet functions. i use microsoft visual basic studio 6.0..