Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VB C++ but where?!

VB C++ but where?!

i have learnt a few web programming languages and i am now turning to making my own programs but i don't really know what to use? i have bpth visual basic 5.0 control creation edition and Borland C++ 6 trial and i can't really decide what to use. i have been told that VB 6 is good but i cant find it! if anyone knows where i could get Vb or if i should stick to borland C++ cos i really need advice; also someone said that Vb is a lot less powerfull than C++ so thats got me confused as well. any advice would be considered precious seen how lost i am!

-the whackaxe

Antionline Herpetologist
    C++ plain and simple. C++ gives you flexibility, power and speed. VB's just a baby when compared to C++. Another advantage with C++ is that you're not restricted to programming in a Windows environment. You can write code for practically any platform in C++.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Amen to that, if you want a RAD enviroment or a visual development environment like VB go with Delphi... VB is total ****... but C++ is the best choice IMO

I would say learn the rought and dirty C++ it helps you pretty much with every programming language, and you can get a grasp about learning syntax alot better. Most languages are very common to C++. C++ is the first one I learned and man it's just made life so much easier when doing other programming languages.

thanx for the advice!

C++ stands out as winner here then. i just got atutorial on how to start windoze programming in C++ and its sooooo much differnt from console programming! it's definatley alot harder seeing as you need much more code. somoen should invent a programming language that lets you speek commen english into your mic and then it converst it into an apllication.*drooling* but untill then better get stated on windoze programming...

-the whackaxe

bah f*k you stress

VB is MUCH better than delphi... delphi is absolutely useless
    WE ARE the anti cancer...
    WE ARE the only answer...
    email

yeah but VB is kr0$0f+ and C++ can be multi platform (even if it is a bitch to learn for windoze proggs).so C++ still rules. and with VB you have the choice of 1 compielr but with C++ there are loads! and delphi seems quite good anyway! better get back to my tuts....

-the whackaxe

if you must write c++ windows programs, use a Visual c++, like Dev C++ from bloodshed. it writes most of the code for the windows for you.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

cheers for the tip, i tried using borland C++ builder 6 but got completly lost, t looks just li,ke VB but with C++!

-the whackaxe

I guess I really wanna be flamed, but if your just learning, VB is an easy way to get yer feet wet, you'll have a little proggie going in far less time than it'll take w/ C. I started w/ C++ too, in school, and it does help you tremendously w/ other languages, but C++'s a bitch, heh, worth it once it's learned, but easier to learn VB first.