Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is best for intrusion detection?

Originally posted here by ammo
    Doesn't AO use RealSecure (ISS)?
    I think that is one of the things they use, yes.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

As a user of ZA I was just wondering could someone be more specific about the issues with that application that Adore was on about?
    If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed. -

Albert Einstein

I stress you to Get Agnitum Outpost instead of TPF, in my opinion it is far better AND it has nice plugins for ActiveX control, Attachment screening and a few other interesting things

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
    [shadow]Scorp666, the Infamous Orgasmatron[/shadow]

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    SilentStalker> You wanted links for zone alarm and Norton.....

Norton -> http://lists.insecure.org/firewall-w.../Apr/0077.html

ZA ------> http://www.ultraviolet.org/mail-arch...2000/0402.html
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Hey Korp do you know of a good tutorial of iptables/ipchains and what is the difference between the two???

quiz boy??????

question 1: Ipchains - http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html
    iptables: http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/h...les-HOWTO.html

question 2: As far as the difference, iptables replaces ipchains in the 2.4 linux kernel. It's setup better and it has many more features.

If you want to know more. Ask www.google.com

Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

hmmm, I wonder why I haven't seen anyone mention TripWire when talking about IDS. I know it's a bit off subject, but I'm still curious.

Anyone here, other than me of course, have experience with TripWire's products?

El Diablo

TripWire isn't really an IDS - at least in my mind, it's in the wrong space to be considered such. Tripwire gives mechanisms by which you can detect changes in "known" parts of the filesystem and, in most people's hands, is really too complicated to be useful (and the sample configurations they give are enough to give management (and ignorant admins) the warm and fuzzies). All in all, managing and updating the thing is a pain in the butt (and even their commercial version, last I saw, doesn't really completely fix that - admitedly, it's been a while since I've let one of their sales people take me to lunch or something).

Basically the only thing tripwire does well for me is to let me know when I need to break someone's fingers - but there's really too many opportunities for misconfiguration of the thing and, thusly, it's usefulness is rather limited in my opinion. (though, on the flip side, I think it's a good idea and a worthwhile thing (as I think I've said in previous threads, actually) - that is, as long as you are ready to invest the time in to it).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Re: What is best for intrusion detection?

Originally posted here by Mahakaal
    Could I get something better? And also is there any benefit in using multiple firewalls at the same time?
    I have a little Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org) box serving as a gateway (lan to ADSL). Smoothwall features Snort for intrusion detection and acts as a firewall. There are a few boxes behing my Smoothie and one of them is a (burb) WinXP box. Since that is my main workhorse, I have Norton Internet Security 2003 (since a couple of days). So I use a double firewall and the Norton firewall has not much to do, but I like to have control over software accessing the internet, as well as the anti-virus stuff. Call me paranoid, but I like it this way.
    For my situation, the double firewall is beneficial but in all honesty...the second firewall doesn't do anything 'cause Smoothie does a good job keeping the bad guys out. It also seems that my Alcatel ADSL modem does something firewall-ish. Not sure though...

Maybe my setup is a little over the top, but I still need NIS to keep banners away, privacy control and anti-virus, so it's not entirely useless. And I'm not a security expert so I follow the 'better safe than sorry' policy...
    Regards,
    Mike Philippens