Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Know any cheap web domains?

Question Know any cheap web domains?

I need to buy a name and domain, but it's only for a simple project, namely to promote my band - every band needs an online identity in this day and age! So I don't wanna spend loads on it. I built the site already in FrontPage so I need a site that accepts uploads, which most of the offers I keep finding seem not to. I'm a student therefore POOR so I don't wanna blow loads. I found a site before that offered an excellent package for £10 a month, but I'd maxed out my credit at that point and couldn't buy it - but now I can't find it at all! SO I was wondering if anyone could recommend any place I could get a good deal; I'm really not sure what I'm looking for, I don't get what half the stuff they advertise *means*! And I don't like how everything is in US$, it scares me! It means I don't know *exactly* how much I'm paying! I hoped people could share with me their experiences of buying domain names etc and how successful they'd been, because I really need to do this and don't really know how to go about it. Thanks!

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

Not sure finding cheap good quality UK domain companies is hard. I hate to say it but it would be cheaper to get a hosting package with domain included. Or you could try a .tk although I personally do not like them (they put in a small frame)

Try www.icdsoft.com
    It's the best/cheapest domain hosting i've come across.
    Cheers!
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

You could also try clarahost:

http://www.uk.clara.net/hosting/clarahost/matrix.phtml

They have some good packages starting from £30 a year and also support FrontPage (yuk)extensions.
    \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot

Cheaper than both of those is www.supanames.co.uk - £18 a year 35 meg space full CGI PHP unlimited transfer free domain (UK domains or £7.50 for .net .com etc) icdsoft prices are in $$ not what she wanted.

Brilliant, although I love the layout of icdsoft it's not as cheap or coherent for me as supanames.co.uk which is perfect for the purpose, thankyou redgore I hadn't even come across this site in my trawling! You are a star!

XXX

you could always start an account here on AO under the bands name and use AO naming service. bandname.antionline.org and point it to a free website.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

that's actually a really good idea! BUT I already just bought a .net account which I'm happy with, and I really wanted plain bandname.net, most of our fans have difficulty comprehending the internet and think they can find what they want by typing www.target.com/net/co.uk - .org is definitely beyond them, and so is having extra words in the address! Lol, I'm not really selling the band here am I if that's our support group! Nah it's cool, I'm all sorted and I think all is well, although I'll definitely take advantage of the AO option at a later date...

XXX

Well, I don't know how fast your transfer would be across the pond, but http://www.phpwebhosting.com has the best prices I've seen for the number of services you get here in the States. $9.99/month for a ton of services:

* MySQL database
    * 125MB diskspace (more if needed)
    * unmetered POP mail boxes (you can setup multiple users @ your domain.com each with their own password)
    * unmetered email aliases
    * available subdomains (ie store.bandname.net, webmail.bandname.net, frank.bandname.net. ftp.bandname.net is created for you upon setup)
    * unmetered traffic up/downloads (just added an OC-12)
    * full cgi-bin support
    * access to custom web-stats
    * use of their SSL certificate (you can also provide your own)
    * custom 404 error pages
    * shell access! (SSH)

I sound like an ad, but I really like them. I use them for my site, and I guess you could check out the speed to the servers by visiting my website. It's in my profile.

Incidentally, $9.99 is equal to £6.51275 right now according to http://www.xe.net/ucc/
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Its OK. I keep meaning to buy some space from them but im low on funds (too much todo this summer hols)