Thread: A minor Virus Heads-up : A mixed Bag

Post A minor Virus Heads-up : A mixed Bag

Hi guys,

The Following is from Symantec http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

Backdoor.Tron is a backdoor Trojan which allows unauthorized access to an infected system. This backdoor attempts to kill the processes of several versions of the ZoneAlarm firewall and Tiny Personal Firewall (version 2.0.15.0); this allows Backdoor.Tron to gain access to the system without being detected by those firewalls.

Also Known As: Backdoor.Tron
    Type: Trojan Horse
    Infection Length: 481 KB
    Systems Affected: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Me
    Systems Not Affected: Microsoft IIS, Macintosh, Unix, Linux
    We won't fall for this one will we?
    W32.Pet_Ticky.B@mm is a mass-mailing worm which sends itself to all contacts in the Microsoft Outlook Address Book. The email arrives with the following characteristics:

Subject: XXX Picture...
    Attachment: XXXPic.exe

If it is run, it could create numerous files on the hard disk.

Also Known As: WORM_PETLIL.A, W32/PetLil@MM, Win32.Petlil.A
    Type: Worm
    Infection Length: 37,376 bytes
    Systems Affected: Windows, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Me
    Backdoor.GSpot is a Trojan horse which allows unauthorized access to an infected computer by using the GSpot client program.

Also Known As: Trojan.W32.G-Spot
    Type: Trojan Horse
    The next one also has a B version..
    W32.Frethem.A@mm is an Internet worm which uses its own SMTP engine to spread. It obtains email addresses from the Microsoft Windows Address Book and from .dbx files. It retrieves the infected computer user's SMTP server information from the registry. It then sends itself to all the email addresses that it finds in a message with the following characteristics:

Subject: Re: Do your Windows looks like Windows XP? I have found very nice desktop themes!
    Attachment: www.freedesktopthemes[plus a random number].[a random extension chosen from com, .exe, .bat, or .cmd]

The size of worm is about 31 KB. It is packed with both PE-Pack and UPX.

Also Known As: WORM_FRETHEM.A
    Variants: W32.Frethem.B@mm
    Type: Worm
    Infection Length: 31,232 bytes

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Good lookout.. Looks as if someone has the gspot trojan.

lol that B version is kinda tricky.. lol thanks for the warning

geez I may have write some of my own just so this thread becomes worthwhile...

I missed this one..

my only comment "???????" oh and "!"

WordPro.Spenty is a macro virus which infects Lotus Word Pro documents. It replicates only in Chinese versions of Word Pro.

NOTE: WordPro.Spenty was previously a zoo detection which has been reported in the wild as of June 3, 2002.

Type: Virus
    sometimes it seems useless even looking at some virii.. but you get some gems ..ie a laugh

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr