gspotbot.exe IRC Bot Appeared

Thread: gspotbot.exe IRC Bot Appeared

The Iceman Cometh

gspotbot.exe IRC Bot Appeared

I was working on my Windows XP Pro machine when I got home this afternoon and noticed a drastic decrease in performance. I had not restarted my machine for about two weeks, so I thought that may be the culprit. I checked Task Manager, however, and found a program called gspotbot.exe running from my System32 directory. I stopped the process and immediately noticed that my system was back to normal. I did a search on Google for this executable name, and found it to be a client for G-Spot Bot (an IRC bot). I have updated Norton AntiVirus CE running on my computer and it did not detect it. I am also running ZoneAlarm Pro 3.0, but it punched straight through my firewall. Any one have any ideas how I could have received it and how it managed to get around my firewall? I am very careful with e-mail attachments and I do not download any programs from the Internet. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

AJ

str34m3r
    If you truly do have a good firewall and good e-mail practices, there are two other good possibilities: web browser attacks and someone with physical access to your machine. Is you computer in an area where other people use it? Could anyone else have installed something on it? That would be the easiest way to get in of course. The web browser atttacks are getting more powerful and more scary by the day, so it's not an impossiblility.

The Iceman Cometh
    It couldn't have been someone else with access to the computer. I have had a few friends over in the past few weeks, but no one has entered my office or server room (this computer is in my office). The doors to both rooms are locked, the server room with a great deal more security than my office. Even if they had entered, one must have a password to enter Windows, either from the screen saver or from start up. Also, since my personal profile does not have administrative rights, they would first have had to bypass the login for the screensaver. Then, they would have had to log out and log in as one of my administrative accounts, which I think is extremely unlikely 1) because of the complexity of my passwords, which change on a monthly basis and 2) because no one was out of my sight long enough to even get through one password.

How could I have been attacked through a web browser? I remember when some virus (Sircam, I think) was big, my AV program detected that an infected file had tried to gain access to my computer through a web site (for instance, collegeclub.com was infected, and when I went to the web site, a message would appear that an infected file was in my temporary internet files, and that it had been cleaned). I guess the attack must have come through either a Java or ActiveX page, though I'm not sure where I've visited lately that contained either of those. I'll check my logs, though, to see if I find something out of the ordinary.

AJ

AJ

The Iceman Cometh
    I found a thread with virus warnings (http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=229590) which includes the bot I have discovered on my computer, but my Norton AV Corporate Edition still won't register it... any ideas?

AJ

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Backdoor.GSpot is a Trojan horse which allows unauthorized access to an infected computer by using the GSpot client program.

Also Known As: Trojan.W32.G-Spot
    Type: Trojan Horse

Taken directly from Here

Backdoor.GSpot is the server portion of the GSpot client.

If it is installed, it drops the file \Windows\System\Msregdrv32.exe.

It adds the value

Video Driver

to the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Run

When installed, the Trojan displays the file \Windows\Temp\Temp2.jpg. This file is not malicious and can be deleted.

It also drops the file \Windows\Temp\Temp1.exe, which is identical to Msregdev32.exe, and should also be deleted.

This Delphi code uses sockets to look for open ICQ connections and possible hosts.

Symantec Security Response encourages all users and administrators to adhere to the following basic security "best practices":

Turn off and remove unneeded services. By default, many operating systems install auxiliary services that are not critical, such as an FTP server, telnet, and a Web server. These services are avenues of attack. If they are removed, blended threats have less avenues of attack and you have fewer services to maintain through patch updates.
    If a blended threat exploits one or more network services, disable, or block access to, those services until a patch is applied.
    Always keep your patch levels up-to-date, especially on computers that host public services and are accessible through the firewall, such as HTTP, FTP, mail, and DNS services.
    Enforce a password policy. Complex passwords make it difficult to crack password files on compromised computers. This helps to prevent or limit damage when a computer is compromised.
    Configure your email server to block or remove email that contains file attachments that are commonly used to spread viruses, such as .vbs, .bat, .exe, .pif and .scr files.
    Isolate infected computers quickly to prevent further compromising your organization. Perform a forensic analysis and restore the computers using trusted media.
    Train employees not to open attachments unless they are expecting them. Also, do not execute software that is downloaded from the Internet unless it has been scanned for viruses. Simply visiting a compromised Web site can cause infection if certain browser vulnerabilities are not patched.

To remove Backdoor.GSpot:
    1. Update the virus definitions, run a full system scan, and delete all files that are detected as Backdoor.GSpot.
    2. Delete the value

Video Driver

from the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

For details on how to do this, read the following instructions.

To scan with Norton AntiVirus and delete the infected files:
    1. Obtain the most recent virus definitions. There are two ways to do this:
    Run LiveUpdate. LiveUpdate is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions. These virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response and are posted to the LiveUpdate servers one time each week (usually Wednesdays) unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, look at the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) line at the top of this write-up.
    Download the definitions using the Intelligent Updater. Intelligent Updater virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response. They are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). They must be downloaded from the Symantec Security Response Web site and installed manually. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, look at the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater) line at the top of this write-up.

Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available here. For detailed instructions on how to download and install the Intelligent Updater virus definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site, click here.

2. Start Norton AntiVirus (NAV), and make sure that NAV is configured to scan all files.
    NAV Consumer products: Read the document How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
    NAV Enterprise products: Read the document How to verify a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan All Files.
    3. Run a full system scan.
    4. Delete all files that are detected as Backdoor.GSpot.

To remove the value that Backdoor.GSpot added to the registry:

CAUTION: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before you make any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify only the keys that are specified. Read the document How to make a backup of the Windows registry for instructions.

1. Click Start, and click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
    2. Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
    3. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Run

4. In the right pane, delete the following value:

Video Driver

5. Click Registry, and click Exit.
    Sounds like the file may have been renamed. Did you notice if there were any ports opened and listening while it was loaded? Hope this helps.