OFFTOPIC: MIDI recording weirdness

Thread: OFFTOPIC: MIDI recording weirdness

Angry OFFTOPIC: MIDI recording weirdness

Well, I'm trying to record MIDI (Musical Instrumental Digital Interface) data from my Yamaha PSR-620 keyboard on my computer through a Turtle Beach Systems Montego DELL OEM card's gameport/joystick connection. I have a connection adapter for gameport->in/out DIN cables.

When I play MIDI data to the keyboard, it comes out fine. When I check the input to the computer FROM the keyboard, it is all weird. When I hit the keys, I get "Unrecognized Event"... and when I restart the keyboard, the keys cause "Pitch Blend." When I then use the pitch-blending dial, it things I'm moving through voice/instrument selections, and when I hit the keys after THAT it things I'm again picking instruments...

Anyone have any idea what's wrong? I've reinstalled my sound card drivers several times, with varying versions. The chipset of the card is an Aureal Vortex 8820. I believe I had this system working a long time ago, and I have already checked for IRQ conflicts.

Swapping the extension cables (or doing away with them entirely) makes no difference. No keyboard setting seem to apply, and I doubt it's the keyboard's fault, because it hasn't done anything strange recently.

"Midi-wan-Kenobi, you're my only hope."
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I've been looking around to try to help (I used to do the MIDI thing back when Gravis Ultrasound cards were da bomb) and have yet to find anything other than possibly bad driver version or bad card.

This is bugging me.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted by TerrAnyone have any idea what's wrong? I've reinstalled my sound card drivers several times, with varying versions. The chipset of the card is an Aureal Vortex 8820. I believe I had this system working a long time ago, and I have already checked for IRQ conflicts.
    Swapping the extension cables (or doing away with them entirely) makes no difference. No keyboard setting seem to apply, and I doubt it's the keyboard's fault, because it hasn't done anything strange recently.
    [/i]

There's not much else to check after doing all that. What OS are you using? It sounds like a dodgy driver to me.

I'm clutching at straws, here.....perhaps borrow a sound card off a friend and try that one out?